Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

We pulled the engine and put it on an engine stand. We have removed the intake manifold, water pump, and exhaust headers. We pulled the old pan and inverted the engine. When we turn over the engine with a wrench, we hear a whooshing or air leak sound from one or both cylinders at the rear of the engine. I don't know, but that seems bad - shouldn't they all be the same (quiet or whooshing)? What could potentially be causing this? Bad rings? Scarred cylinder? We can crank the engine all the way around, but at one spot it's significantly harder to push past. Once past that point, it's relatively easy until we reach the same spot again.

We are hoping to be able to go through the engine ourselves. I have order Tom Modine's book on how to rebuild small block Ford V-8's, but this has got me nervous. Have we strayed into professional rebuilder land?

Thanks!
John, Jordan, & Gavin

1965 Ford Mustang 289 V8 4V Type-A

·
Registered
616 Posts
Without knowing any history about the engine it's a bit hard to say. Maybe they are the only ones that have any compression.
Or the valves arn't opening on those 2.
You may have to dig deeper.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Could also be be your spark plugs are loose or are not in those cylinders. Most likely I would say what you hear is either the valves no closing alll the way or one of them is burnt allowing air to escape. It can also be bypass on the rings. It could also be head gasket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments. The spark plugs were well seated at the time. I concur that a valve not seated may be an issue, but the sound was coming for the crankshaft region. At this point, I am planning to replace the rings.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up to earlier posting - the engine rebuild is nearly complete. It had significant cylinder wear, so we bored it out 30 thou. No more whooshing sounds! At least one piston's rings were so fouled I couldn't ever get the rings off!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Follow up to earlier posting - the engine rebuild is nearly complete. It had significant cylinder wear, so we bored it out 30 thou. No more whooshing sounds! At least one piston's rings were so fouled I couldn't ever get the rings off!
Glad you did it right! Now be sure to give the heads the same treatment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts