Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got my car dyno tuned with a set of long tube headers and a cold air intake, and here are my numbers, what do u guys think? its a 2007 GT/CS manual transmission. What do you guys think about my numbers? low? high?

Attachments

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
for what it is, not bad...if you want to have some real fun get a supercharger..at 400rwp I then thought the car was finally "fast"..and it has supporting mods

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Sounds about right; torque maybe a little low? but you really can't compare dyno runs because there are too many variables.

Curves look kinda funny ; the jagged line suggests maybe the knock sensors were hearing some pinging and pulling timing?

What's the difference between the two runs?

·
Registered
65 Posts
while i do not think the numbers are that bad, i would have expected a little higher seeing as its on a dynojet.

which long tubes did you go with? i keep changing my mind to which i am going to get.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the bbk long tube headers, 1 5/8 inch pipes into a 3 inch collector. high flow catted x pipe

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Besides going F/I or cam or any serious engine work, what else could i do to get more HP and TQ? i dont wanna do any cam work or anything like that till i have to rebuild the engine, till then itll be a bolt on GT

·
Registered
486 Posts
I went with C&L CAI and Pypes LT headers, hi flow cats and H pipe. I also added Detroit Rocker cams, and 4.10 gears something else you can add is the Underdrive pulleys. I did that as well. I am at 332 RWHP and 307 RWTQ.
Rethink the cams it is not a bad add. Really nice sound and no valve work for Detroit Rockers.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
did they dyno guy / tuner say anything about the jagged line indicating that the ECU was pulling timing due to pinging?

the dips and jagged line suggest that something not normal is goinng on; it should be smooth without the dips and jaggies

that would be the first thing I would look at ; you might actually get better numbers by backing off the timing a little so it does not pull timing ; or find and fix any other cause for pinging such as carbon build up / hot spots in the cylinders

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you haven't had any problems after you installed your cams? Its just what i hear from everyone that you start having problems from other things when you get into modifying internals. and he told me that the graphs are never gonna be pencil straight, he said i might need new spark plugs. my car has 67,400 miles. Do i really need new spark plugs?

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
. . . he told me that the graphs are never gonna be pencil straight, he said i might need new spark plugs. . . .
hmmm, sounds like you might want to get a second opinion . . . my local dyno / tuner guy showed me those jagged points on my dyno graph and said "see that right there? that's the ECU pulling timing, must be sensing a little knocking . . . we want to fix that . . . . "

I don't know about the plugs, what does the maintenance schedule say?

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
There are a few terms used interchangeably -- knocking, pinging, detonation -- they all refer to the air/fuel mix "exploding" in the cylinder, instead of burning smoothly (but quickly) like it is supposed to. There was a great link posted on here about it recently, I don't remember what thread it was in, but a search on "detonation" or "pre-ignition" should find it.

In our cars, "pinging" is usually cased by too much spark advance. One way to get more power out of these engines is to "advance the timing" meaning set the spark earlier in the cycle, or more "before top dead center." However, if you advance it too far, it will cause pinging which is bad for the engine. So the engine has a "knock sensor" that listens for the pinging, and backs off the timing advance if it hears any. When this happens, the engine will produce less power for a short time, until it advances the timing again. This supposedly shows up on the dyno curve as those jagged lines where the line suddenly drops down and then comes back up again.

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT know if this is really happening ; a good tuner should have a much better feel for it than I do ; I was just suggesting that it might be worth a look.

·
Banned
324 Posts
Yeah I think you're okay or the dyno shop guy would have said something. But if you're worried you could always go back and ask him about it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have had no issues at all. Car runs great and I really love my cams. The car sounds bad ass. I think if you get into the cams where you have to make other engine mods you get into more opportunities to have more issues. The Detroit Rockers are mild cams but you get that great loop sound plus pretty good hp gain.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not sure about the miles but I have had them a little over a year now.

Mods so far:

Pypes LT headers
C&L CAI
H pipe
Hi flow cats
Underdrive pulleys
93 octane custom tune
Pypes violator mufflers
4.10 gears

Did not want to go with SC due to cost and I don't plan on racing it or anything. I was looking for old school sound and some volume. I love my setup and get lots of compliments. It is a little loud but man it sounds great. The violators give it a deep low tone and the loop of the cams sound awesome.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the underdrive pulleys... did you notice anything different besides the power? ive been thinking about those for a while and i heard that they make your alternator slower and also the water and oil pump slower... do your lights dim down when your at a stop light? does your A/C blow just as hard and cold before the U/D pulley? do you honestly believe they are worth the money?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have not noticed any decline in lighting, A/C or anything for that matter. I can't say you wil notice much difference except number on Dyno. It is probably a 7 to 10 hp gain. I got the BBK polished ones they look nice. I did it for the numbers but not sure if that matters to you or not.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was looking into the steeda U/D pulleys, besides pulleys what else can I do? I was looking into a throttle body but Idk if they really are worth the cost. Throttle body spacers are good too surprisingly

·
Registered
65 Posts
Throttle body spacer is good for weight reduction only. It reduces a bit of weight if you normally carry around a lot of pennies and pay for it with them. If you use a debit/credit card you will not see the weight reduction. Besides that they are even a crappy paper weight. A throttle body could potentially gain you power but only if one is needed. With limited mods, they will gain you nothing.

I have the steeda udp's and they help rev a little faster, not much. Power gain is not much either but the top of third pulls a little easier now. Matched with a "race" flywheel 3rd now pulls strong up to around 6k where it didn't pull too good before. The A/C is normally fine, but in the summer time I always need to have the A/C on 2 during peak hot times of the day where in the "winter" (I'm in south Florida) 1 is plenty. To be honest I think I needed 2 with the stock pulleys too though. Engine temps are still fine, lights do not dim (like in my ranger with udp's), no problems with them at all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts