Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you run 295/40/20 in the rear and 275/35/20 in the front??? with a one inch drop in the front and 1.5 inch drop in the rear? Also I saw that running a 35 series tire on a 20 will only through your speedometer off by about 1.1 miles an hour off at 60MPH. what will happen with a 40 sires in the back and 35 in the front and what determins the speedometer reading???:?:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The middle number is the percentage of the tire width. 295/40 is a fat tire. I don't think that you want that setup

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first number 295 is the width of the tire. the second number 40 is the side wall hight. And the third is the rim size. a 40 is not a fat tire as stock mustang profile tire are typical 45.:winks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Let me see ...245/45 tire side wall is 110....295/40 tire side wall is...118. If I'm doing the math right...and I could very well be wrong.....the 295/40 tire has a "fatter" side wall...:winks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Let me see ...245/45 tire side wall is 110....295/40 tire side wall is...118. If I'm doing the math right...and I could very well be wrong.....the 295/40 tire has a "fatter" side wall...:winks
That's correct. Alot of people mistake the sidewall number as being a fixed number. It all depends on how wide the tire is.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet thanks the info was great but how dose that tell me what speed the speedometer would say??? the the 35s say 60.2 at 60mph but the 40s say 56.7? which one will it be...where dose the mustang pull is speed from?:?:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well with the side wall issue where can I find a way do calculate the side wall as per tire width...and to Monolith sorry man I was wrong...I claim lack of knowledge thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also is that why the Super snake runs a 30 in the rear but a 35 in the front?

G

·
0 Posts
The first number 295 is the width of the tire. the second number 40 is the side wall hight. And the third is the rim size. a 40 is not a fat tire as stock mustang profile tire are typical 45.:winks
edit: everyone here types faster than me:nono:
The middle number is NOT the sidewall height. It is the hight of the sidewall as a percentage of the tread width. There is no such thing as "40 series". A 195/40/19 will have a shorter sidewall than a 295/40/19(1.55" difference).

For the tires you originally listed, your rear tires will be 2" taller than the rears.

Use the calculator the TitanRam posted, I use it everyday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if you cant match the side wall size front to rear which do you go off of for what your MPH will be at?

·
Registered
355 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
So if you cant match the side wall size front to rear which do you go off of for what your MPH will be at?
The speedometer reads off the rear tires.

You can match front and rear tire hights easily;
255/35/20= 27" tall
295/30/20= 27" tall

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tire size

I have a 35 series in the front and a 30 series in the rear but the actual height of the tires are very similar. If you have a tuner for your car, you can adjust for pretty much any tire size. Just go to the manufacturer's website for the tire you want and look up the revolutions/mile. Input that number (for reference my 335/30/18 BFG KDW was 803) into your tuner under adjustment options.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you every one for the help!!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a 315/35/20 in the rear with a 1.5" drop. This tire is 1" taller than my stock 27.7 and fits fine. It also puts my speed bang on with the GPS as most stock setups are conservative by 1-2 mph

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 315/35/20 in the rear with a 1.5" drop. This tire is 1" taller than my stock 27.7 and fits fine. It also puts my speed bang on with the GPS as most stock setups are conservative by 1-2 mph
What tires are you running? How much did they cost and what size rim are you running? Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also using different tire heights in front and rest may affect your tcs system. Something to consider.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have CF5 Forgestars 11" rear and 9" front with Michelin Pilot Super Sports (315/35 and 275/35) Tires came from Discount Tire. Went with these sizes based on what others were using

·
Registered
248 Posts
Tires were expensive as I couldn't get the Nittos I wanted due to the supply issue. I checked with the Ford racing techs and a 1" difference is not an issue for TC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts