Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

A few months ago I replaced my battery after it died overnight. I had a neighbor jump start me and then charge the battery using some old school Sears battery charger that he had, but it died again a few days later so I figured the battery was just old and I needed a new one. I hadn't changed the battery since I bought the car a year and a half earlier so I wasn't sure when the battery was changed last by the previous owner.

Anyways, I go out to my car this morning and the battery's dead again. It's only been a few months (4 at the most, I don't remember exactly). What could be causing this problem? My friend checked the battery last time it died after I got a jump start and said my charging system was fine, so I'm assuming there's something drawing a charge after I turn the car off. I'm planning on taking it to Carmax where I have it covered under warranty so they can take a look at it since I figured it's an electrical system problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Alternator. These car are nororius for having bad/intermitent ones.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just bought a PA Performance alternator from AM...... $260.00

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the alternator, my friend measured the current across the terminals or something and told me my charging system was fine. Other ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if it's an issue with the 08's or not but out 05 was doing this and it was something in the radio draining the battery when left on. Just turning the radio off solved the problem with the draining/killing the battery over night.
We traded the 2005 in on a new 2008 California Special which just turned over 5000 miles. It is still on the first battery and drained itself once this last winter. Figured it was battery time but have just made sure the radio is turned off and it has yet to drain the battery again. Allthough it is time to put a new battery in soon before we use the car for vacation this summer

·
Registered
163 Posts
I also have a PA and no it wont solve your problem. Do you have the factory or an aftermarket radio. The factory actually drains way less all it had to remember is radio stations and a few setting, I have a double din DVD and it seams to pull way more than the factory it has way more settings to keep I guess. Anyway It sounds like you park it for long periods at a time, I have to use a battery tender on mine. The ECM has a small draw to it also. Also a radar detector and a Zune or Ipod will drain one in believe it or not a matter of a day or two. On any car. Also you may have a bad diode in your alternator, it will give the proper voltage but not enough amps to give it a good strong full charge. Auto Zone or Advanced can test it for a bad one, Don't trust one retard with a scanner, take it to a couple of them, you will be supposed how many different answers you get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my alternator of factory damage with two years of use, I bought one in summit and lasted me only 2 days. finishjust for $90 the electromechanical fix it . and now I have almost 10 months and I not have problems, but some friends have mustang 2005-08 I they told that also have the same problem with his alternator. and my car not have music system So i recommend you check the voltage, less than 12.8 does not work for your mustang! dont care if you alternator its new!!! just check it to be sure!
good luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
81 Posts
Like others said more than likely your problem is with the Shaker stereo if you have one. If you search these forums and the web you'll see all kinds of problems. We had 05 GT with Shaker 1000 and we had battery problems to. There is a relay internal in radio that doesn't turn all the way off and allows the amps to stay on and drain the battery. Most people say to turn radio off before turning car off. Others say eject all CD's (not sure why?) then turn off radio, then car. We now have an 09 with Shaker 500 and haven't had any problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts