Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else having problems with 2nd gear in thier 06's? I have been driving 5 speed mustangs forever and I can tell ya it ain't me. Anytime I try to even come close to a power shift with this thing it grinds second like an old T5 GRRR. It will do it on anything but a granny shift, I expect this on an old trans alot of passes on it but this thing is brand new! Suggestions?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just a howl on 2nd and 3rd. Power shifts... I always at least tap clutch while shifting, so no grinding here.. However it seems that there is something fundamentally wrong with some TR3650's.
I'm supposed to leavy my baby for few days to the dealership for them to figure out whats really wrong with the tranny. Maybe later sometime..

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Yea, my tranny seems to grind 2nd and be rough on throttle down in3rd...feel it in the stick.

It makes me wonder if the Tranny will go out beofre or after Warranty.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is quite a large ratio drop 1 to 2, IIRC 3.38:1 down to 2:1. Combined with a 11" clutch disc the synchro has a lot of work to do in a very short time. 3650 IMHO is not a power shifting trans, need closer ratios and a beefier synchro assembly.

Have you ever looked into a Jerico trans with the split slider? Very cool, but not streetable. Lot of Pro Nostalgia racers use these.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yeah, same here too! i use to have a T56 in my Chevy and i loved that one! but this one is really not a power shifting trans by far. But its all we got and i guess just deal with it and not destory it before the warranty goes out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I do actually blip the clutch on my powershifts so it's not what you would call a "pure powershift". But it certainly is enough to where it should not grind. thanks for the info about the internals RPM, that makes alot of sense. I guess I'll just work on my driving technique for the 1-2 when I'm spankin the local yokels and wait for Tremec to put out a superior unit as always to upgrade with, till then I got an extended warranty and you better believe they are gonna replace it if it goes south lol :winks .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts