Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a newbie question. I'm going to order my Mustang so I can get it exactly the way I want it. I was going to order the 3.31:1 limited slip differential, mainly to make foul weather driving a little safer, but I'm confused.

What is the difference between the standard 2.73:1 and the optional 3.31:1? Does this ratio define the limited slip of the differential, or is it the final gear ratio? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My understanding is the 3:31 rear end will cost you 2 mpg overall and be about .5 secs faster 0-60.

Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
366 Posts
All new mustangs are now equipped with limited slip differentials. The days of the single tire fryer sixers are thankfully behind us!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I thought it was only a .2 second difference 0-60 going from 2.73s to 3.31s stock.

·
Registered
702 Posts
somehow I have to disagree with a 3.31 being safer than a 2.73 in foul weather.

Car has stability control, traction control, and in general a higher ratio (2.73) is less likely to spin tires in the snow.

That being said, I am glad I purchased the 3.31s.

Also, its the gear ratio not the slip ratio.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
somehow I have to disagree with a 3.31 being safer than a 2.73 in foul weather.

Car has stability control, traction control, and in general a higher ratio (2.73) is less likely to spin tires in the snow.

That being said, I am glad I purchased the 3.31s.

Also, its the gear ratio not the slip ratio.
I think the OP was speaking to the limited slip being better for foul weather not necessarily the gear ratio. I believe he thought the only way to get the limited slip was with the 3.31's.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you have the opportunity, go with the 3.31 rear gears! Really liven the car up from the 2.73's. Gas milage does NOT get effected much - 2mpg... at most maybe. I can, at times, get 32-33 MPG highway. City has been at the lowest 19MPG.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
I can confirm the good mileage Mountain gets. With only 2500 miles I got 29+ (manually computed, not the Ford display) Massachusetts to central Maine and back (380 miles on the same tank).

Cybrsk8r, also see a PM for some background on the Ford 8.8. Limited slip can be a mixed blessing in snow. You can get through some amazing stuff, but have to constantly drive it, not loaf or let attention wander. Open rear axles are initially easier in snow, until you lose all traction, at which time you're screwed. Of course, all that does not apply to our cars, which have electromechanical aids to help out in snow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, for the info

Ltngdrvr is right. I thought you had to get the 3.31 to get the limited slip diff. I thought, at first, that the ratio referred to wheel slip, but then re-read the specs and realized it was the rear-end gear ratio. I also guessed that the 3.31 would give more low-end torque, but cost something in fuel economy, and be a tad worse in bad weather.

Thanks, Grabber2012, for the info.

Considering I'm going from an econo-box to this, this car will feel like a rocket no matter which rear end I choose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts