Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please explain this axle upgrade over the standard axle in the new v-6 stang ?

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
not sure what the upgraded gear is but basicly the larger number gear you go with ( 3.55 3.73 3.90 4.10) the faster you get out of the hole, but the sooner your rpms top out. yes you can still go up to the speed limiter. and yes it will effect gas milage. but its not that bad. on the down side from a roll, your out of your powerband quicker.

the standard is 3.73 manual and 4.10 auto. but there are some extremists out there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The 3.31 will get you better low end acceleration with slightly compromised fuel mileage. The 2.73 has good acceleration (not as good as the 3.31) but it's main focus is fuel consumption. For a fun car, the 3.31 is the only option.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
3.31s arent very impressive. atleast on the s197s gear ratio. with the new power i still say the standard is best :)

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
just looked it up on the manual its a .65 OD, 373s are a good call. is your car manual or auto?

·
Registered
183 Posts
3.31s arent very impressive. atleast on the s197s gear ratio. with the new power i still say the standard is best :)
2.73 and 3.31 are the only available options for the V6 from the factory. 3.73s and 4.10s would be fun but they're aftermarket options only.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for explaining....I was wondering if it is worth it to upgrade the axle when I purchase a v-6...Hopefully soon!! :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
oh, then imo it would not be worth it, id rather pay to have the 373s

·
Registered
224 Posts
3.31 are worth it as a $400 unless you plan to go to a larger number later.

More grunt, but slightly less mpg. See if you can test drive both to compare.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
with teh 3.31s and a .65 OD should be around mid to upper 20 mpgs easy.

i got 373s with a .68 OD still getting 22 mpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.