411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Auto
V6
18 inch wheel
Bama tune
Airaid
Gears 3.55 or 3.73?

Also how hard is it to correct speedometer after gear change?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Don't waste your money on 3.55s...go ahead and get the 3.73s... if not 4.10s.

Also, if you have a tuner, you can make the adjustments for the gear
ratio w/ that. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
you might just want to go with 4.10
i did it and never even thought about going back, and i do plenty of highway driving:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you might just want to go with 4.10
i did it and never even thought about going back, and i do plenty of highway driving:bigthumbsup
I just dont think I could go 4.10, its a daily driver about 1500 miles a month

·
Registered
64 Posts
for a daily driver... 4.10's are too steep. they are very nice.. but if you do more driving than you do racing.. go with 3.73's. thats what i have in my 95GT. Its perfect for DD and track use :). 3.55's are a waste.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Since you have an automatic transmission I suggest you get a tune specific to the new gear ratio instead of just changing the ratio in the user adjustable features on the tuner. This will make it so that not only is the speedometer adjusted but so will all the transmission parameters so the shift points and converter lockup will be corrected for the new gear.

As to what ratio to chose, consider how much highway gas mileage you are willing to lose.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you have an automatic transmission I suggest you get a tune specific to the new gear ratio instead of just changing the ratio in the user adjustable features on the tuner. This will make it so that not only is the speedometer adjusted but so will all the transmission parameters so the shift points and converter lockup will be corrected for the new gear.

As to what ratio to chose, consider how much highway gas mileage you are willing to lose.
Ok thanks, sounds like speedo calibration will not be a problem. You think 3.55 is a waste from 2.73? I am willing to lose some highway mpg but I spend no time at the track only driving. I just want a quicker car.

·
0 Posts
373's and 410's are great, if u use a tuner to ajust the gear ratio I'm pretty sure it changes the shift points at well I don't think you would have to get a specific tune for the gears since its adjustable on the tuner anyway

·
Registered
405 Posts
What manufacturer has the best gears for the V6 in your guys' opinon regarding 3.73's? Ford racing, Motive, or Excel by Richmond. I mean they all do the same thing, but Ford racing seems to have the most reasonable price on AM.

Any opinions on the quality of gears from each manufacturer?

Any recommendations if its really necessary to purchase the install kit including the bearing kit if you have a brand new stang? I'm thinking you don't really need the bearing kit if you only have less than about 30,000 miles on your stang. And I guess that goes for the rebuild kit as well? The only thing that's necessary is the 8.8" gear Pinion bearing since 2010's and up including the GT's are equipped with this change in the inner rear gear pinion.

-Steve

·
Registered
637 Posts
from 2.73s to 3.55 you'll deff notice the difference. especially cause its an auto i'd think 3.55s are fine
I have a manual tranny and 3.73 gears, only downside is loss of mpg.
high rpm comes a lot quicker with the upgraded gears.

Couple of things I'd recommend as well
If you have not already upgrade your tires first
Secondly, control arms. I had installed upgraded Lower control arms.
This will help reduce wheel hop as the gears you are looking at will and can cause wheel hop

·
Registered
637 Posts
What manufacturer has the best gears for the V6 in your guys' opinon regarding 3.73's? Ford racing, Motive, or Excel by Richmond. I mean they all do the same thing, but Ford racing seems to have the most reasonable price on AM.

Any recommendations if its really necessary to purchase the install kit including the bearing kit if you have a brand new stang? I'm thinking you don't really need the bearing kit if you only have less than about 30,000 miles on your stang. And I guess that goes for the rebuild kit as well? The only thing that's necessary is the 8.8" gear Pinion bearing since 2010's and up including the GT's are equipped with this change in the inner rear gear pinion.

-Steve
Hey Steve, I'm using FRPP, quite a few people are on the boards as well from what I'm reading. I've had zero issues since they day they were installed.. no noise at all from the gears. I've heard horror stories with other vendors so I chose FRPP

·
Registered
540 Posts
Im goin 3.55's myself when I decide to order them. I do know if you put on alot of miles and No track days like you said their no reason for goin 3.73's. You can expect 27-28mpgs with 3.55's and 25-26mpgs with 3.73's so its up to you

·
Registered
107 Posts
Im goin 3.55's myself when I decide to order them. I do know if you put on alot of miles and No track days like you said their no reason for goin 3.73's. You can expect 27-28mpgs with 3.55's and 25-26mpgs with 3.73's so its up to you
I put FR 373's and a procharger on and it looks like the days of 25-26 mpg are gone. Best I get is 22 mostly highway. That is if I drive it easy. If It gets any worse I will regret selling the GT500.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I buy the ford racing ones, the dealer should be able to install these without voiding any of the drivetrain warranties correct?

I dont want to pay the dealer labor fees though...ouch!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

+1 This is what I should have and still need to do. I like my setup as is, but at times it seems as though the engine and transmission aren't always on the same page. Especially when it downshifts. I'll get it done after more mods.

-Steve
I bought everything and had my whole rear end rebuilt. No need for everyone to do this. Just piece of mind for me.

I have a manual tranny and 3.73 gears, only downside is loss of mpg.
high rpm comes a lot quicker with the upgraded gears.

Couple of things I'd recommend as well
If you have not already upgrade your tires first
Secondly, control arms. I had installed upgraded Lower control arms.
This will help reduce wheel hop as the gears you are looking at will and can cause wheel hop
You think an auto needs LCA's? I was considering getting some, but I dont track or drag my car (yet) so I didnt know if I'd benefit from a set.

If I buy the ford racing ones, the dealer should be able to install these without voiding any of the drivetrain warranties correct?

Double-edged sword here. I don't think it matters what brand gears you go with, Ford can't recalibrate your PCM to adjust for anything bigger than 3.31's. That being said, It may or may not be warrantied. I had a shop install mine, and had them warranty my rear end differential and the work they performed. My axles, driveshaft, tranny, etc, etc are still warrantied by Ford. But if my differential acts crazy, I just take it back to the performance shop.

·
Registered
65 Posts

I talked to two dealers here in Phoenix. Both said the same thing. Installing any gears, by them or someone else, will void the warranty on the rear end since it is no longer the way it came with the vehicle. The rest of the vehicle warranty is unchanged.

They also said FRPP gears are considered "aftermarket" and not warranted.

Not sure of they're just blowing smoke or not.
thanks,
ken

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I talked to two dealers here in Phoenix. Both said the same thing. Installing any gears, by them or someone else, will void the warranty on the rear end since it is no longer the way it came with the vehicle. The rest of the vehicle warranty is unchanged.

They also said FRPP gears are considered "aftermarket" and not warranted.

Not sure of they're just blowing smoke or not.
thanks,
ken
Sounds legit... but then it sounds weird...

If I went to my dealer and had the FRPP Handling Pack installed by them, would it be covered? I would make the case that it should be.

**EDIT**

Just checked the site and found this
"
All Ford Racing Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Racing Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories.
Ford Racing Performance Parts are sold "as is" with no warranty. A Limited Warranty is available for some select parts and will be denoted by the following logo...

"

So I guess the answer is no.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so they dont warranty the rear, so what, thats a few hundred. What worries most of us is if the engine blows do they tey to blame that on the new gears..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts