Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a penalty will there be with having the 3.55 and not the 3.31 in winter driving? Does the 3.55 have limited slip like the 3.31?

I know most of you are going to say to garage the car for winter, but I would like to hear from experience or engineering knowledge the difference between the gearings for winter drivings.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
As for the 3.55's, I never had in problem with my 03 F150 in what little snow we get here.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Winter Driving

All 2011 Mustangs have limited slip differential and traction control (stability control) and anti-lock brakes.

Really doesn't matter what gear ratio you pick for the differential as those things above will take care of you in the snow and ice. If you don't already have the car, I'd order the 3.73 gears to have the best acceleration in summer driving. On rare occasions in the winter when low gear is too low, I might start from a standstill in 2nd gear.

Suggest you purchase 4 new snow tires of the best proven current brand you can find...then the car will actually be fun in the winter.

My biggest problem in the winter with a Mustang was getting the defroster to defrost the upper left corner of the W/S..and I don't think they've bettered that on the new model...idiots that they are...My God, the thing was Designed in Detroit..a winter helland.

Don't worry about storing the car for the winter. If you actually live in Detroit, you are near the factory...you can just drive over to Flat Rock and pick up a new car whenever your car begins to get a little rusty. LOL.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just from experience.. with a Mustang I have found the ratio didn't matter. You have so many other things going against you that you won't even be concerned about that ;)
Some would argue this, but of the vehicles I have driven in the winter, my Mustang is probably the WORST pig in snow and ice, and up here that is plentiful mixed with minus 40 degree celcius days.
For the money I would have spent on winterizing, snow tires and second rims, I bought an old chevy and bomb around in that all winter. Cheaper in the long run especially if you happen to come across that little old lady in her cordoba that has no clue what a brake pedal is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All 2011 Mustangs have limited slip differential and traction control (stability control) and anti-lock brakes.

Really doesn't matter what gear ratio you pick for the differential as those things above will take care of you in the snow and ice. If you don't already have the car, I'd order the 3.73 gears to have the best acceleration in summer driving. On rare occasions in the winter when low gear is too low, I might start from a standstill in 2nd gear.

Suggest you purchase 4 new snow tires of the best proven current brand you can find...then the car will actually be fun in the winter.

quote]

I appreciate the info. I plan on getting some winter tires. I hear Blizzaks are the best, anything you would recommend? or are there any SE Michigan drivers that have had experiences, either good or bad, with a specific brand of winter tires?

In terms on the gearing, if the 3.55 is good enough for the GT500 it will be good enough for me. A good compromise of performance and gas mileage for me. Some other posts on the forum here have been extremely imformative on the topic and thank anyone that contributed to those.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've been very happy with my Blizzak WS-60s. I've gone 3 winters with plenty of snow on them. I can easily go a fourth. The main complaint you'll see is that the main compound only goes halfway, but the thing to realize is that A. the rest of the compound is the same as the LM-25 B. At what tread point will you still want to stop using a snow tire C. They're great tires

BTW, on a 70 degree day, they will get a little scary at 80mph so I really recommend not doing that.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Michelin X ice (Xi2) or Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 are most likely the best tires for winter driving.
As Propaganda 13 states, and Car & Driver agrees with, such tires are not meant for high speed driving..80 mph and above. Any Snow tire is a soft rubber compound, so they flex and work well in snow and ice, therefore they wear quickly and are not great handling on dry pavement.

And also best bet is to have spare wheels for the tires...makes a change very quick when necessary. I would look at tire prices depending on what wheel size you pick. A smaller wheel size than your summer tires are on may be cheaper for tires. Take off wheels of alloy material may be available online cheaper than anything else. I paid $300. total for four Bullitt style takeoffs and used them for winter driving....but those were 17" wheels and you may need at least 18s...I am not sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.