Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 gt pretty much stock. Lowered, cai kit, borla stinger exhaust. I have been told that 4.10 gears are a bit much for the city driving so I opted for the 3.73. Just lookin to get some insight on my decision? Maybe some comparisons in the rpm range of them both or just opinions. I think they should wake her up quite a bit and I have been told they should put the ol 4.6li. Right in the sweet spot of operation! : ) I look forward to ypur insight and opinions.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
actually in city driving the 4.10s are better since you can be going 40 mph on 5th gear instead of 4th. now on the highway the rpms will be a little higher but not alot of difference between the 4.10s and 3.73s. at 80 on 5th im pulling 3k rpms with 4.10s, with 3.73s itll be a tad lower. i wouldve got 4.10s, but you will definitley feel the difference with 3.73s over stock.

·
Registered
125 Posts
actually in city driving the 4.10s are better since you can be going 40 mph on 5th gear instead of 4th. now on the highway the rpms will be a little higher but not alot of difference between the 4.10s and 3.73s. at 80 on 5th im pulling 3k rpms with 4.10s, with 3.73s itll be a tad lower. i wouldve got 4.10s, but you will definitley feel the difference with 3.73s over stock.
X2, if I done mostly city driving I would have gotten the 4.10s, where I live you can drive as fast as you dare on the highways and interstate so I went with 3.73s, BIG difference over stock gears.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock gears for th 8.8 are 3.27 gears, correct? I always thought they were 2.73s, atleast that's what I was told that I had in the 96 gt I used to have.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
99 up are 3.27's.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New gears are installed and I LOVE them! Don't care what anyone says 3.73 is the was to go for a casual driver that like to have fun if he needs to! : )

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
good to hear you are enjoying them.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I'm gonna go with 3.73's also so going from 2.73's and 8lbs of boost from a turbo mine should be a totally different demension lol.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just out of curiosity has anyone gone with 3.90's? I think I saw them as well on AM.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
im probably going with 3.73 as well cuz i do a lot of city driving (not the good 40 mph cruising kind) and with the 4.10's thats a super short 1st gear

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
FWIIW, I cruise on level ground all time in 5th gear at 40 MPH with stock 3.27's. No lugging. All stock.

FWIIW2, if asking for a vote, choose the 3.73 over 4.10 for a DD. The highway cruising will still be better at lower RPM's.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Just out of curiosity has anyone gone with 3.90's? I think I saw them as well on AM.
It would pretty much be a middle of the two....I talked to a guy once who said he had some in his 04 GT he used to have and that he loved them but personally can't say nothing for them.....even though there is a difference between the 3.90's and the other two I would have to guess it wouldn't be a whole lot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts