Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am installing a 3.73 rear in my 84 gt. and i was told by a friend that i need to set my backlash and use a degree wheel to set it properly. when i pulled the old one out it of course was factory w/ no shimming. is he correct or can i do the install in reverse of pulling the old rear out?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
technically you need a dial indicator to set back lash. i doubt that the factory settings had no shims in there, but yes you can re install them with the current shims. one thing you must do though is to take the pinion bearing off and take out the shim that is inbetween the bearing and pinion. put that shim on the new pinion and install a new bearing. (press to remove, and hammer on the new one) most likely the pinion shim will be ok, the ones you need to adjust for backlash are the carrier shims thickness. you should install the old ones and mark the gear with gear marking compound, and feel for backlash, as an inital reading. then go from there.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Gears Noise/Wear Prevention

Have to make sure backlash and pinion depth are set right. The pattern checking with the marking compound is very important to prevent noise and premature wear of the gears, as Lxarlo mentions.
You might want to read this article to review the steps, tools needed, key measurements and specs. GL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.