Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.73's finally got installed and wow. I love it. Next week I will see how much improvement I see at the track. Should have done this first!

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
be sure to break them in! ( theres so man opinions on break in rules, i just drove easy for 500 miles to be sure)

have fun!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yea 3.73s are awesome, i got them too, mine was already broken in but still i drove easy just to be safe. Do the 15 min heat cycle and drive easy for 500 mile so your safe on the long run, other than that enjoy :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
316 Posts
Glad to hear your enjoying them. As this is a future project of my own, do you mind me asking how much it was to have the gears installed? How long did the installation take? Also, you mention an increase in performance- is this with or without a tune? Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I will pay a mech maybe 150 at most to install mine, I think thats the going rate, but someone correct me if IM wrong.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I will pay a mech maybe 150 at most to install mine, I think thats the going rate, but someone correct me if IM wrong.
uhhh... its about 5-600 to install gears....:so

·
Registered
613 Posts
+1 Very expensive. You have to take the whole rear end apart. All the bearings and seals should be replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Love my 4.10 gears. But then I don't do any highway driving. MPG wasn't affected because I now can get use out of 5th gear. It was a mod that really made a difference, and it doesn't add any strain to any part of the drive train in front of the axles.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts

5-600 install is WAY to much i , and alot of others i know 300

350 at most. 500-600 is just plain... well shafted

·
Registered
781 Posts
5-600 install is WAY to much i , and alot of others i know 300

350 at most. 500-600 is just plain... well shafted
300 is about the norm... if ur paying 600 bucks u just got owned :shigrin

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, I want gears! I was thinking 3.55 but maybe 3.73. I hope Im not screaming on the highway.
Pm I have a set of 3.55 with only 15k and in great condition.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My mechanic explained the reason for the need to break the gears in. He spoke with a tech from Ford racing who explained that even though the gears are made of hardened steel. Going through several heating and cooling cycles keeps the metal from flaking. Anyway after the install he ran it through cycles and then told me to take it easy. The cost to have it done was $400. I dropped the car off while I was out of town and came back and they were done.
As far as a tune I am FI and just reflashed my tune with the updated gear ratio.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Don't forget to reflash your tune with the geaar ratio change. :)
Can this be done with out calling the A hole who sent you the tune?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
My mechanic explained the reason for the need to break the gears in. He spoke with a tech from Ford racing who explained that even though the gears are made of hardened steel. Going through several heating and cooling cycles keeps the metal from flaking. Anyway after the install he ran it through cycles and then told me to take it easy. The cost to have it done was $400.
Actually the reasons are two-fold. You need to heat treat the bearings and the metal gear face needs to harden under heat and pressure. If you don't break them in properly, you can actually get to the softer metal underneath and then all hell is going to break loose in there.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
glad to hear your happy with your 373's. Modings is so fun isnt it lol. And listen to everybody else on break-in periods. I did for about 500miles. Goodluck!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Yes... Just have to reflash the existing custom tune after selecting the gear ratio change under the user adjustable parameters.
This would have to be done every time the tune is loaded yes?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.