Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm only a couple of hundred miles into my new car and I absolutely love it... except for the gearing. For me, I think I made a mistake. I can't believe how fast it goes from 4k rpm's to the red line in 1st. Before I took delivery I posted the thread asking about pushing it to the limiter. I have to say, the 3-4 times I've got on it hard it went from 4k rpm's to the limiter so fast I wasn't ready for the shift. I'm sure I'll get a little more used to it, but I just can't help but wonder if I should have went with the 3.55's or the stock 3.31's.

I'm finding that for everyday casual driving the car is smoothest for me if I go 1-3-5-6.

I'll probably give it 6-12 months and if I still feel the same I'll swap them for something lower. Anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I jump gears as well, unless im hole shotting. 3.73s imo are the all around perfect gear. you can get a tune that will remove that pesky limiter. , you will get used to those gears, just like a stage 2 clutch all things take some getting used to, thats when you bond with your car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You drive a 400+ hp car...maybe you got the wrong car instead of the wrong gears... i hear the ford fiesta revs real slow.
very informative...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
haha im just playing, but seriously though, i dont necessarily see the OP's situation as a real problem...like stated above...it just takes some getting used to

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my last manual was a 1990 GT 5.0, 225hp, 5spd. I sold that more than a decade ago. So yeah, I'm definitely not used to the hp or the shifting yet. I have no idea what the gearing was on my '90. Being in college at the time though I didn't have the money to do anything about it.

I'll definitely give myself time to get used to it. I'm just saying, for me, I'm pretty surprised.

I thought it might be worth noting for others on the fence with the 3.73's. I'll try to come back in a few weeks and note if my opinion's changed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
went for the 3.55's after much back and forth..seemed like the best compromise for me personally and what I am looking for from the car..besides, i do a ton of highway driving

·
Registered
548 Posts
I like the 3:73 however you can't floor it under 60 mph without massive spin with the stock tires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I test drove the 3.31's.....you did NOT make a mistake. Only had my car for three days and still getting used to the 3.73's but the difference is night and day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My last Mustang was an '86 w/5.0 & 5m. My '12 5.0 revs MUCH quicker. Have had it for 2 1/2 mos. getting used to the difference. I have 3.55's great compromise of performance and economy IMO. Give it time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I guess it is each to his own. I wish they had more gear choices. I have 4:10's in my '06. With the redline higher on the new ones, I wouldn't mind 4:30's or 4:56's in it. Again, everyone is different. Neither of the cars will be my DD so I guess I am a little different. After a while, I may opt for more gear.

Here's a thought; don't get on it so much and get used to it. I think after you get used to it, you will like it. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Try taking off in second instead of first. I usually only use first if I'm on a steep hill or if I'm going to take off fast.

·
Registered
376 Posts
2- 4 - 6 most of the time and no regrets.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have factory 3.73's and love it. Yes, you have to be judicious with the throttle but it's a whole lot of fun when you need to accelerate. I understand your point of view but I wouldn't change mine. With that said, my car is a toy. I have just under 450 miles in almost three months so I don't have to live with it every day in traffic.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Having had 4:11's in my old 56 chevy, 4 spd Muncie, and with a 409 cubic inch small block up front some 25 years ago I am pretty cool with getting the standard 3:31's on my soon to be made GT.... My Chevy was a great 1/4 mile racer and I could get to 100 real quick and break them lose in every gear but my engine was screaming at 100 mph...! It was so much fun blowing away those brand new 1985 Iroc Z28's and 1985 Corvettes in my $3000 home made hot rod...! Anyway, I drive over 110 miles round trip to work everyday, mostly freeway so 3:31's will probably suit me fine. I'll wait a year or so and if I need to step it up I'll get a set of 3:55's maybe....? Really, the gearing needs to suit the kind of everyday driving you do mostly and your life situation. Having a six speed manual really makes for a lot of wiggle room though whatever gears you get....! And remember, if you got room you can opt for a taller tire and that will help your gear ratio blues..... Regards

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.