Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which engine swap would be better overall from my 2 choices?
  1. A Crown Victoria 4.6L V8
  2. A Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6L V8
Considering the advantages and disadvantages of...
  • Aluminum vs Iron engine block
  • DOHC vs SOHC
  • Aftermarket availability of parts

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'd get a dohc that's what the gts are there are more.parts available for aftermarket too...however the sohc is a great motor and probably way cheaper to buy
also I'm not.sure if.the sohc will be an.easy job either such as doing.custom.work for the engine mounts and clearance issues with the accessories i don't know if they are the same blocks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd get a dohc that's what the gts are there are more.parts available for aftermarket too...however the sohc is a great motor and probably way cheaper to buy
also I'm not.sure if.the sohc will be an.easy job either such as doing.custom.work for the engine mounts and clearance issues with the accessories i don't know if they are the same blocks

I've seen the Mark VIII engine swapped in older SN95's (pre 98) so i doubt that there will be clearance issues unless i misinterpreted what you said. As far as mounts go i believe they are the same but i will install new mounts anyway due to the car being 13 years old. As far as cost i have my ways of attaining each at a fair price. There's a surplus of Crown Vic motors at the moment.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I was just unaware if the sohc is a different block than the dohc or are they.the same so I didn't know if clearance would.be an.issue. I had a crown Vic it was a 97 loved it... motor roared but I think you'll be happier with a dohc more to come.from it

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Crown Vic 4.6 = same HP as a V6, maybe more torque.
Lincoln 4.6 DOHC = same power as a PI 2V 4.6L.

Both of those motors require you to replace everything in the drivetrain. Everything. You also will need to change the cluster, all wiring underhood and then some.

These swaps are never worth it, both motors you list are not even worth the trouble pulling out of their respective shells. It is never worth swapping a V8 into these cars, buying a GT is always cheaper.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't think he's looking for a practical switch more of.a project...I'm currently doing an 88lx 4cyl swap to a 347 I'm building... cheap and.easy? No. But a great learning experience so if you are up for the work do it like I said the dohc is a better choice though more power is to.be made.
This will take time money and blood so do some research and.have a full plan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crown Vic 4.6 = same HP as a V6, maybe more torque.
Lincoln 4.6 DOHC = same power as a PI 2V 4.6L.

Both of those motors require you to replace everything in the drivetrain. Everything. You also will need to change the cluster, all wiring underhood and then some.

These swaps are never worth it, both motors you list are not even worth the trouble pulling out of their respective shells. It is never worth swapping a V8 into these cars, buying a GT is always cheaper.
Crown Vic 2003
239HP/282ft lbs

Mark VIII
280HP/285ft lbs

......and the 3.8L V6 has like what 180hp/210ft lbs? if that, on the ever so advanced pushrod technology

I already have a 8.8 rear, was planning on swapping out the transmission anyway due to being AUTO, the swap would be best time for me to upgrade my car. I got a good deal on it, $2,500 and many memories behind it so i will never just buy a cheap beaten up GT.

I don't think he's looking for a practical switch more of.a project...I'm currently doing an 88lx 4cyl swap to a 347 I'm building... cheap and.easy? No. But a great learning experience so if you are up for the work do it like I said the dohc is a better choice though more power is to.be made.
This will take time money and blood so do some research and.have a full plan

Yes it is a project. I've researched for about half a year if not more. I love the body style of my SN95, can't get rid of it and want to make this thing a bad street strip car.

I want to focus mainly on what would be a better build engine wise. I know aluminum blocks are lighter and the Teksid is known to be tough, but i've heard that aluminum blocks are not good for overheating and iron blocks are better. Now the Teksid is known to hold 1500+hp and the Crown Vics 800hp both of course with upgraded internals. As far as how hard the swap will be and pricey, trust me i know! I've seen my grandpa rebuild old Ford pickups for years.
As far as aftermarket parts and heads of both engines what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Heads depends on budget greatly I'd say afr or trickflow if you have the cash but if not find a decent set of Stang heads maybe port them not sure if it would be worth it though mAybe someone has better input on the heads. Internals I got a great kit from coast high for 1200. I don't know about sites with a lot 4.6 parts I'm a 5.0 guy but summit racing is a good place for aftermarket

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heads depends on budget greatly I'd say afr or trickflow if you have the cash but if not find a decent set of Stang heads maybe port them not sure if it would be worth it though mAybe someone has better input on the heads. Internals I got a great kit from coast high for 1200. I don't know about sites with a lot 4.6 parts I'm a 5.0 guy but summit racing is a good place for aftermarket

Summit is indeed a great place for aftermarket parts. If i go with a GT/Crown Vic engine i will probably go Trickflow heads.

Today i found a guy in my area selling a rear wreck 2004 GT, looks decent. Has engine and 5 speed (probably TR3650) leather interior and front is in okay shape.Whatever i don't use i can sell. He wants the car as a whole for $1,500 which would greatly decrease the cost of parts for me. Should i be weary of wrecked cars? Or take a look and go for it...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Take a look I'd Atleast buy wiring harness and other stuff like that 1500 for a parts car is a lot Atleast around here it is but if you can yank more than.1500 outta it pick it up I'm sure there's a lot you can use just make sure he hasn't sold other parts off it

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take a look I'd Atleast buy wiring harness and other stuff like that 1500 for a parts car is a lot Atleast around here it is but if you can yank more than.1500 outta it pick it up I'm sure there's a lot you can use just make sure he hasn't sold other parts off it

I won't pay if anything is parted out, i'll check it out this weekend and if i want it i'll try to make a deal.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts

1) GTs do not come with DOHC 4.6l. They are SOHC 4.6l.

2) If I had a choice of the two and were spending money on an engine swap, it would be a DOHC. They have a lot more potential. The Mark VIII enogine is a good choice due to it being Aluminum (which will save some weight off the front end).

3) What all do you have done now as far as supporting mods? You said you have the rearend...do you have suspension, a gauge cluster, wider rims/tires, etc...

This is a very involved swap and should be planned out. I don't see why you don't sell the car and buy a decent GT or Cobra....the money you are about to put into this will far exceed the price of one of those. Not to mention the time (time is money....).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1) GTs do not come with DOHC 4.6l. They are SOHC 4.6l.

2) If I had a choice of the two and were spending money on an engine swap, it would be a DOHC. They have a lot more potential. The Mark VIII enogine is a good choice due to it being Aluminum (which will save some weight off the front end).

3) What all do you have done now as far as supporting mods? You said you have the rearend...do you have suspension, a gauge cluster, wider rims/tires, etc...

This is a very involved swap and should be planned out. I don't see why you don't sell the car and buy a decent GT or Cobra....the money you are about to put into this will far exceed the price of one of those. Not to mention the time (time is money....).

1) Correct, the GT's/Crown Vics are SOHC and Mark VIII/Cobra's are DOHC

2) The Mark VIII does appeal to me that is why it is under consideration, but aftermarket mods are limited vs GT options. The front end can be lightened up with a tubular k-member.

3)As far as supporting mods at the moment i have 17x8 wheels with staggered tires, the rear as mentioned, as far suspension the rear is basically all GT now.

I will NOT get rid of my current car, as mentioned there is too much of a personal connection, this is basically a project. I know what i have with my current vehicle. If i buy some GT or Cobra it will be expensive. Plus the possible issue with a new car are endless. My car is well maintained but the engine is not a good foundation for a build.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
"As far as aftermarket parts and heads of both engines what are your thoughts?"

What are you goals? HP? 1/4 mile time?....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"As far as aftermarket parts and heads of both engines what are your thoughts?"

What are you goals? HP? 1/4 mile time?....
Whatever engine i choose to build, i want to make as much N/A power as possible. I want to add a full SLP Exhaust (longtubes, x pipe, lm1 catback), i want cams, CAI and new throttle body. If i still want more power i want to supercharge or add nitrous. See if i buy another GT i'll take a loss. Decent GT's are over $8,000 in my area. Most have an overwhelming amount of rust, others are beaten to hel.... Cobra's are too expensive and extremely rare in the area. My car has minimal rust and will get more bodywork done soon along with undercoating and a color change.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
"I don't want a motor already 305 hp stock, I want an inferior motor that has aftermarket parts that I can spend more time and money installing to bring it to 305 hp."

That's pretty much what you are saying

DOHC don't have a lot of aftermarket parts because they don't need them. The heads, cams, intake, dual TB flow a ton more air than a stock GT already. There is plenty of exhaust which you would gain from. Look at the list of major engine mods + supporting mods that a PI 2V takes to get to 300rwhp, then look at the minor bolt on list it takes a 4V to get to 300rwhp.

If you are staying NA then IMO get a 4V for sure. I say get the donor car and do the swap, then later when funds permit, put a used supercharger on there and make 350-400rwhp on the 2V.

Young guys always think they're so in love with their cars, but 99% of them move on pretty fast.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Whatever engine i choose to build, i want to make as much N/A power as possible. I want to add a full SLP Exhaust (longtubes, x pipe, lm1 catback), i want cams, CAI and new throttle body. If i still want more power i want to supercharge or add nitrous. See if i buy another GT i'll take a loss. Decent GT's are over $8,000 in my area. Most have an overwhelming amount of rust, others are beaten to hel.... Cobra's are too expensive and extremely rare in the area. My car has minimal rust and will get more bodywork done soon along with undercoating and a color change.
Either way you should probably go the DOHC route except I would try to find a Cobra motor, or buy the Mark VIII and buy Cobra heads, intake, etc...

I also think you should have a more specific goal in mind because if you build a motor for N/A power than want a supercharger or nitrous you will have to go back and redo a lot of stuff to accommodate the extra power (forged rotating assembly, different cams, possibly different pistons if you up your compression for N/A power).

I would figure out if you want a blower or N/A power first than go from there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know i am a little indecisive in future plans, but the car isn't going away, i can go on a long list of reasons but rather not. I'll take my research elsewhere. Thanks to all who helped and did not.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts