Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am thinking about buying a 2001 Mustang V6 3.8litre., but i want to know the top speed before i buy it, and what kind of horsepower and torque it makes? anybody know

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
193 hp, 225 tq, top speed is electronically-limited to OEM tires (TR's, I think) which is 112 mph.

With the electronic limiter removed -around 136mph. but you shouldn't remove it unless you've upgraded the tires.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had mine to 120 then a slowed down, it could have easily kept going, I have the limiter removed

·
Registered
315 Posts
ye mine topped of on the interstate around 112 , i didnt know about the limiter . I was flooring it just seeing what it could do and i hit around 110 - 112 and all of sudden my stang just slowed down with me on gas and all , I started panicking and pulled off to the shoulder . I thought i blew my tranny and called my roadside service '' while I was waiting a state trooper pulled up behind me and got out to see if i needed help , looked under the hood and gave me a stern look and asked how fast was I going . I was like Oh Shxt what else could go wrong and then he started laughing and told me what happend and sayd he did the same thing with his Gt . So he dissconnected my battery and waited 15 mins connected it and it was ok lol.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Venom810 said:
ye mine topped of on the interstate around 112 , i didnt know about the limiter . I was flooring it just seeing what it could do and i hit around 110 - 112 and all of sudden my stang just slowed down with me on gas and all , I started panicking and pulled off to the shoulder . I thought i blew my tranny and called my roadside service '' while I was waiting a state trooper pulled up behind me and got out to see if i needed help , looked under the hood and gave me a stern look and asked how fast was I going . I was like Oh Shxt what else could go wrong and then he started laughing and told me what happend and sayd he did the same thing with his Gt . So he dissconnected my battery and waited 15 mins connected it and it was ok lol.
Why did you have to dissconnected the battery ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I didnt , the state trooper did . he sayd it just reset my cars computer so it would be like i didnt even top it out. I dont know if it helped or anything that he did that but i was just glad he didnt hand me a ticket ya know ?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have the speed limiter removed with the chip and I've had no problem peggin it out. Although, like kscoyote said runnin that fast on those tired isn't completely safe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How can the limiter be removed?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jrspony said:
How can the limiter be removed?

maybe you oughtta' pay that speeding ticket 1st!

:laughlitt

you need either a chip or a programmer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yea i might need to find out how to increace the limiter :laughlitt!! But we all have that need for speed thing goin on!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
a v6 will make it to 130mph + , this vid proves it , 4th gear I finished at 118.5mph , so at 118mph i shift to fifth and the rpm is only at 3800 , didn't have enough room to push it more , but yea ... there more to these 3.8s then ppl think , and a stock one well theres a big diffrence when you mod then

Mustang 3.8 Top Speed - YouTube

·
Registered
163 Posts
Had the needle past 120 mph at 4500 rpm (have a 120 mph speedometer so not sure exactly how fast I was going). Did this for 20 miles two years ago and haven't had any troubles with the car since. (almost late to work). ;)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Back when I had my 2000 V6 mustang I topped it out at 118 and it would go no further. It was an automatic though. And I never messed with the limiters. She was a good little pony. But it didnt feel like it had much more to go when it hit 118 lol.;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
So besides a tuner and tires, what's the best mod for top speed?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts