Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shiny:Hi guys I have 1996 v6 mustang and I thnnking about do a a5.4 swap Ihave the moter all ready but Im trying to see if the swap is worth it?Thanks

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
probably a 9-15k project depending on how much work u can do.

·
Registered
899 Posts
"Worth it" is a tough call. It depends on why you are doing it, what your goal is, and how much money you are willing to spend.

I would always recommend that if folks want to beef up their V6 have at it. But when you want to drop in a V8 it would be best to just sell your V6 and start with a V8. Doing the engine swap is only the start of what needs to be done for the car to be safe and reliable.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Is it the 2v, 3v, or 4v 5.4L? It shouldn't cost anywhere near 15k dollars. lol Is it worth it? That is a tough one to answer. It depends on what you want. Most people say that the 5.4L 2v isn't worth the swap. You will see a little bit better gains out of the 5.4L 2v than you will out of the 4.6L 2v but not much. the 5.4L 3v and 4v are monsters though. They can handle awesome amounts of power and have awesome potential as well.

You can do a budget build on it. Do the engine swap, tranny swap, suspension swap. electronics and you can probably do it all for 4k-5k. This is by no means all that you will have to do but it is just an idea of what all you will have to cover. If I could get my hands on a 5.4L 4v I would do the swap in a heart-beat. I do have a 4.6L 4v that I plan to swap in so I am not complaining though.

You could probably do it all for a lot cheaper as well. Try to find people that are parting out their Mustangs for cheap prices, look for used stuff that is in good condition, Junkyards will be your friend, do as much work yourself as you can anything that can save you money will help out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not shur if its a 2v,3v,or4v it is out of an excursion.My goal right now is to build a fast street car that I can take to the track.so any advice you guys might have Im all ears.thanks

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The Excursions have the SOHC 2v 5.4L. That engine can get some nice power out of it but it is basically a stroked out 4.6L 2v. That would be entirely up to you on what you want to do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ahh c'mon :nono:

buy a second hand v8? surely that's the better bet. you could sell yours for, not really sure what your car is like but on average 7-12k, then spend another 3 or 4 and get your v8

that's a saving of at least 8k

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
ahh c'mon :nono:

buy a second hand v8? surely that's the better bet. you could sell yours for, not really sure what your car is like but on average 7-12k, then spend another 3 or 4 and get your v8

that's a saving of at least 8k
ahh c'mon:nono:
the vast majority of us dont want to sell our cars.
i dunno why everyone is saying it'd cost 15K to swap v6 to v8, when all you have to do is buy a rear-end-wrecked GT for 3-4K, and everything you need is right there, as long as you can turn a wrench.....

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
It is still cheaper in the long run to just sell the V6 and buy a V8 factory car........

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It is still cheaper in the long run to just sell the V6 and buy a V8 factory car........
I hate to agree, but he's right. For the same price, you could supercharge your sixer and make the same if not more power than the stock GT. And plus, you'd have something different than just another plain jane 4.6.

Now that dohc 5.4 is a different story.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I hate to agree, but he's right. For the same price, you could supercharge your sixer and make the same if not more power than the stock GT. And plus, you'd have something different than just another plain jane 4.6.

Now that dohc 5.4 is a different story.
Even a dohc 4.6 out of a mach1 would be worth it, but as stated the old 4.6 2v doesn't offer nearly as much advantage.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Believe me, I agree guys. I see no need to add 2 more cylinders just to make myself feel better. I am all for building up the V6 since you can get some good power for $3-4K and smoke V8's all day long..........

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I've been looking into 5.4 2V swaps lately as a frined and I are going to do it on his 01 GT. Where it works for him is because he has a 4.6 2V car, and the 5.4L 2V is nearly a direct bolt in, only a few things need to be changed, and mainly just the upper intake assembly. The 2 of us or N/A junkies so its something we want to do.

I would say if you have the motor and everything you need, go for it. But since it is a V6, your basically looking at doing a V6-V8 swap, just instead of a 4.6 you would be using a 5.4L. If you want to do a full V8 swap, you're looking at fuel system, rear end, suspension, engine/electronics. etc. And like stated before, you pretty much need a donor car.

It's up to you, what do you want to do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so I'm new at this and was looking for some advise. Im looking to swap out my engine for a 5.4L ford engine. I need to know the details on what all I should change out. Also if anyone here has done it maybe how you've liked it and would recommended it. I'm hoping to do it with in the next 2weeks so I would really appriciate the input. Thank you

·
Registered
2,747 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ok SO bringing up an old thread here... cuz i want to do the same thing but i have a 98 mustang with the v6... now i dont think it is "not worth it" cuz i think, as a gearhead, that this is gonna be a fun project more than a headache... i personally LOVE the SN95 cars and i really enjoy the new 5.4 motors that come in most trucks nowadays... i have a 5.4 with only like 40k miles on it out of a lincoln town car... not sure if it had the 2v 3v or 4v but i dun really care im not lookin to make a drag car im lookin to be one of the very few that has put a 5.4 in a v6 SN95 car... so for my personal drive, and i can fabricate just about anything i want (even my own K member for the price of the steel alone) if i wanted, i can... and i have the right attitude for it... so there fore i wannna do it, and im willing to bet it can be done with about 4k INCLUDING THE PRICE OF THE CAR... the v6 was only 1000 bucks so inital part of the project and budget already has 1000 bucks into it... but much more to come...the 5.4 WILL RUN and drive for under 4k, it may not be drag race certified but it will do it cuz i know that between me and my dad, i can... SO i will do everything part by part piece by piece junkyards, craigslist, donor parts that ppl just dont want in their garage, etc this project is gonna be pretty cheap... but by the time im done essentially it will be like driving a 2009 mustang with the 4.6 SOHC so i will have a "new" car for like 5k.... and to me, and im gonna change my signature to say this... ITS NOT WHAT YOU CAN BUY ITS WHAT YOU CAN BUILD....:scratchchin

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Good luck with the build. Keep tabs of what you had to buy and whatnot as well as difficult steps of the swap and then do a small(or large) write-up when you get done. I am really anxious to see it done. I have been at a drag track where a guy had it done but I did not get a chance to talk to him or anything, just heard that it was there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
why that motor... and what trans do you have for it? stock tranny will deff not hold 350ft t.

if your going for a torque car(since thats a suv motor) why dont you get a diesel. cummins 5.9 lol 6 cyls and i think there is only a few diff things you need to do added on to a gas engine swap. but that sounds alittle outlandish lol

i'd just sell the car bro. go to an auto auction and look around you can find a rebuilt title stang like my 00' for real cheap. the split ports are deff way faster than the previous models.

an if you get a gt you have your work cut out for you. seriously. from what they have said about wiring harness's, ecu programing, tons of other stuff. i'd stick to the same cylinder base.

but thats just me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.