Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard the its a pretty good idea to swap the freestar 3.9l intake to the mustang 3.9l is this a good idea? does its give and good hp or tq gains??
thanks,
braden

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
i am not sure if the freestar has the same intake.. but the agreed upon intake is the 96-98 windstar intake

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Mark gave the right car, the swap can be done either way from junkyard or the VAP kit, the junkyard way is a lot cheaper but more involved, as you have to swap over parts from the tb on your stang to those on the Windstar tb to make it work right then you mist custom fabricate the bracket for throttle cables and probably have to cut a hole in your factory hood to clear IAC unless you do a remote setup on it, the whole junkyard swap has a write up in the V6 tech section at the top, and myself as a VAP kit owner will tell you that it was easy to do (minus the coolant overflow tube moving) and comes with everything you need to do the swap

I recently went to a pick and pull and got a new upper intake so I can put the IAC back where it belongs but with the 65mm BBK mustang tb with the inspiration from stalkerstang making a spacer for the tb to adapt the lower IAC port on the mustang tb to the higher IAC port of the Windstar intake, one thing I saw there that was kinda cool was the exact same intake but in a cast version on a 4.2L engine, i never heard of it on another engine so I didn't bother to screw with it haha

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
F150 4.2L intake has the highest volume. It also is nearly impossible to install under a stock hood. It is cast aluminum.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
F150 4.2L intake has the highest volume. It also is nearly impossible to install under a stock hood. It is cast aluminum.
It was a cast 4.2 intake, so it is better?? Hell I might go back and swap them then, I don't have that low hood anymore haha

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
If the listing for the pullies say 04 as a matching year number they will work, the 3.9 was the only engine used in the 04 cars

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
If the listing for the pullies say 04 as a matching year number they will work, the 3.9 was the only engine used in the 04 cars
? no it wasnt.... they used 3.8s at the beginning of the year and 3.9 halfway through

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
? no it wasnt.... they used 3.8s at the beginning of the year and 3.9 halfway through
Are you sure??? I thought they switched in the middle of 03 and all 04's are 3.9

here is one that says works for the 04 cars, they don't specify between motors so I'm assuming that it works with both of them, I do believe they are balanced the same

Mustang ASP Underdrive Pulleys & Belt Package

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
yep im sure.. it happened in mid 04

·
Registered
3,775 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Removing all the runners would really cause driveability issues unless it had a serious tune, and even then I wouldn't get my hopes up. That looks exclusively good for boost. NSure looks pretty though.

·
Banned
22 Posts
It is good for streetability!

I personally have a 9.9:1 static comp ratio with ported and polished heads with the 1.94/1.56 valves from ssm. I also have a pretty high lift on the cam. but overall the engine was designed for boost. I just didn't have enough cash to get everything together at the time when i was completing the engine rebuild. I didn't notice any difference as far as low end torque loss, but i did really notice gains on the top end. And the plenum is mounted in the center of the intake to allow an unobstructed flow of air into all the ports. When I had my engine dyno'd the people didn't want to take it past 5500 rpms for some reason i dunno. I told them to take it to 6100 but they didn't listen. I had absolutly no hp drop and the torque numbers stayed almost flatline across the board. But like i said its a 3.8 stroked 4.2 and untunned and it hasn't been tested on a stock motor but will be coming soon.

My v6 stang - YouTube

This is the youtube link to my car that has this intake sitting on top of a fresh build. The car is untuned due to the fact my local tuner trying to rip me off. But the cam is the part of it that requires tunning. Like i said stock numbers will be up soon.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
oh hi again.......

1 - 20 of 56 Posts