Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright everybody i need some serious input on this one. I have a 2002 3.8 v6 manual mustang. It has 70 thousand miles, but is in great shape. Right now it's only mod is true duel exhaust. I just sold my dirt bike and have 3 thousand to put into the stang. I am only concerened with performance and saftey. (I don't care about looks) I am not looking to make it a race car but i would like to make it considerbly faster. Also this car has to last and i know i will not be able to make future mods for a long time! So i need to know how to add some safe power. gears, intake, cams, tuner, supercharger? List everything please

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Plan what you want to do. Is it going to be a daily driver? You'll need a few more dollars to add forced induction. If you want to remain naturally aspirated, an intake, tune and gears could be done for around $1k.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would maybe do a good Cold Air Intake and Gears for starts. Then I would save the leftover cash and really plan what else you want to do to the car.

On my 94 GT, I put a CAI/MAF System, Headers, X-Pipe, and a Custom cat-back exhaust with magnaflows. I will leave it like this for the summer and plan for my next mods to do next winter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
well if i had that chunck of change i would get a LSD,Limited Slip Differential, with 3.73 gears $500 or so(the LSD and gears are bout the same price), Cold air intake $80, lowering springs $229 steeda sport, shocks and struts $600, and a tuner$ 380. with all that you'll spend $1789 plus tax and shiping. this wall all priced at americanmuscle.com. then you could use the $1200 or so to have it installed or you could do it yourself and save the money for future mods.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about a power pack? I saw one at supersixmotorsports that was promising 80 horses. It was $2400 i believe. And yah its definetly a daily driver.

·
Registered
770 Posts
SSMs PowerPack, yes it's a good trade...

But before you get your 'Stang into something like that I'd make sure the suspension can handle like a street performance car.

1. Cold Air Intake
2. LSD
3. Gears (3:73 since you're manual)
4. Full Suspension Upgrade (shocks/struts, sway bars, control arms, lowering springs, etc...)
5. Short-Throw Shifter
6. UDPs (Underdrive pullies)

Dude, three grand is a good amount of change. How would you like to spend on your Pony? The amount that you have? Or more? Goals even, what do you want? You have to have a goal to start and stick with before you start up with the Mods. Take it from me, I wanted all these things for for my Pony's performance...but I had to be realistic that way everything I put in her will function properly.

When you want to go with a non-naturally aspirated car (Superchargers/Turbos), there will be a variety of applications to your car for a proper fully-functional performance. Get me? So will if you go NOS.

Research your ideas for the car first before you start spending away. You'll save more when you know what you want.

·
Registered
150 Posts
you dont see many turbo 6ers... thats what i'd do

·
Registered
770 Posts
That is true...

I've only seen supercharged or NOS'd Sixers. Turbo would be something irrelevant, but in a good way.

·
Registered
343 Posts
put it aside, get a little bit more money.. then supercharge that 'stang! if you dont want to go there then i would just do pretty much everything else but an SC... CAI, tune, gears, exaust (if you want a nice sound) new tires (if it needs it) maybe new cams... you should be able to do all that, or at least most all of it, for 3 grand. in my opinion, i would DEFINATLY have to take the supercharger/blower route and worry about the rest later. but thats just me, its all up to you man.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Alright everybody i need some serious input on this one. I have a 2002 3.8 v6 manual mustang. It has 70 thousand miles, but is in great shape. Right now it's only mod is true duel exhaust. I just sold my dirt bike and have 3 thousand to put into the stang. I am only concerened with performance and saftey. (I don't care about looks) I am not looking to make it a race car but i would like to make it considerbly faster. Also this car has to last and i know i will not be able to make future mods for a long time! So i need to know how to add some safe power. gears, intake, cams, tuner, supercharger? List everything please
You can do a lot of work with 3K. Like stated that really isn't enough for forced induction but if you are looking for reliability that isn't the right path anyways.
A lot of people have been saying to redo the suspension, but honestly that is not needed and it won't net you any power.

Here's how I would do it....
1. Intake - $200
2. Tuner - $370
3. UD pullies - $200
4. Subframe-connectors - $100 (the only suspension mod you actually need)
5. LSD w/ gears - $450
6. Comp Cam - $395
7. Aluminum Driveshaft - $250

That would put you right around $2k, so you can use the other $1000 for install. With that you would be getting close to 200 rwhp.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Save up a little more money and go FI, since you pretty much have over half of the cost saved up.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I would say that some suspension should be done. Even if it is only shocks/struts/springs/rear sway bar. The V6 stock suspension is a lesson in what not to do to a car. lol They handle like absolute ass and they are not meant to handle any power. Even minimal suspension changes makes huge improvements to the car's feel. I couldn't imagine driving the car with 200rwhp and having the stock V6 suspension. JMO though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Suspension upgrades will make a big difference. When I bought my tang the guy who had it before me ad already done the suspension work, new springs, shocks, conecters. My car rides much better and corners better than most of my friends, and they have moded the hell out of their rides. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
First off I'm not a V6 hater. I'm not sure if have your car paid off or not but its probably worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $7500. Honestly I would trade it for a 99+ Gt thats in good shape. In the long run you will never recoupe the $3k you plan on putting into your V6. I've seen some 99+ Gts going for $7-8k. But if your keeping the six then I'd say gears with a lsd, and a couple bolt ons. Maybe a Bullitt suspension or other brand suspension kit to lower and tighten up your ride would be nice for you.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
No, he will not get back the 3 grand that he would put into his car. But, no car will ever yield more money than you put into it unless it is a collector's car or a limited edition. Do you think that your Bullitt would be able to get 4,000 back if you put 3,000 into it? No, You would be lucky to charge 2,000 more if you put 4,000 into it.

Car's are not a way to make money, especially when you are modding them. It is a passion and the only person that can determine whether it is worth it to mod the car is the owner.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I would say that some suspension should be done. Even if it is only shocks/struts/springs/rear sway bar. The V6 stock suspension is a lesson in what not to do to a car. lol They handle like absolute ass and they are not meant to handle any power. Even minimal suspension changes makes huge improvements to the car's feel. I couldn't imagine driving the car with 200rwhp and having the stock V6 suspension. JMO though.
Well my six only has steeda springs, strut tower brace, and sub-connectors and it handles 220 rwhp just fine. Then again I'm not one for road racing so for straight line I don't need much. But as you said, JMO.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Trust me I know this. I'm limiting the mods on my Bullitt to about $1500 for this reasson. I had over $3500 in mods on my 97 Gt and just barely sold it for private party value. I just think you would get a lot more performance if you used the $3k to upgrade to a different car rather than put it in the V6.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Trust me I know this. I'm limiting the mods on my Bullitt to about $1500 for this reasson. I had over $3500 in mods on my 97 Gt and just barely sold it for private party value. I just think you would get a lot more performance if you used the $3k to upgrade to a different car rather than put it in the V6.
True story. If I had a GT I would probably limit myself too.

Having a V6 I don't car so much. I know that I will never get back a 1/4 of what I put into it. That is why I am modding it the way that I want the car set up. I am wanting a road course car and with road course it is not about power but handling and how you can use the power you have. The V6's have a much better weight transfer than the GT's do and when you do suspension work to them they outhandle the GT's due to weight and F:R weight ratio. Really I have been looking at a Cobra IRS swap to get some awesome weight distribution but I don't know what I am going to do. lol

Tex- Just doing springs is a big handling upgrade for most people. Adding SFC's is a big step up in strengthening our weak ass body structure and really helps to stabilize the car. Like you said, you only have 2-3 suspension things done but they handle the power just fine. For most people just lowering it, shocks/struts and a rear sway bar would be more than enough. The stock V6 suspension is nasty bad. It sits way to high and just does not allow for fun driving in any situation.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Once you've factored in intial cost, insurance, and gas mileage; dollar for dollar it is cheaper to make a V6 as fast as a GT then to just buy a GT. Now since his vehicle is a little older and considering the mileage, if he was looking for a GT in the same condition then he could get one with the value of his car plus the 3k; but then his insurance will go up and he won't get as good of milage. The argument goes either way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yah, i have a v6, for the money im about to put into it, i could definatly get a v8, but i dont really care, i like my car,

im making my v6 a nice little fast daily driver and than saving up for another car to play with,

with 3 grand i did apperance mods + lowering it and getting a tlok+ gears, im getting some when i lowered it im getting caster camber plates and rack offset bushing and replacing the shocks struts, im also getting a tlok and 4.10s in it. i got almost everything including labor for just a little over 3k

(wheels, headlights, grille delete)

dont let people try to make you feel bad about modding a 6er,

(in june in getting a vortech put in :D)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.