Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 1965 Mustang Coupe with the 200 ci 6 cylinder engine that I want to restore. It is all original with exception of the transmission. It has been replaced with a automatic transmission.
I would like to restore it to the 3 speed manual.
I am willing to purchase or swap the working transmission in order to make it happen.
Does anyone have or know where i could find a manual 3 speed transmission?:headscratch:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Too bad you are so far......there is someone selling a 3 spd in the Boston Craigslist for $100. Not bag if you want to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be willing to pay for shipping. Could you send me a link to the Craig List. I could not find it.

Thanks for ther reply a help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You need to make sure you get the right bellhousing for your application. When I bought my '65 coupe, the car had been converted to a C4. When trying to round up all of the parts to convert it back to its original 3-speed glory, I found out that Ford phased in a larger bellhousing sometime during the '65 model year.

The '66 and up bellhousings wouldn't bolt up to my 200ci six, and for a few days, I was at an absolute loss about what to do. Luckily, when I went to pick up the 3-speed transmission I found, the guy still had the accompanying bellhousing--and it fit my car.

Just beware--there are two six cylinder bellhousings out there. Again, I'm not sure when Ford made the swap, but the different/larger bellhousing was phased in sometime during the '65 model year and had become standard in the six-cylinder applications by 1966.

·
Registered
330 Posts
3 Speed Tranny

I would be willing to pay for shipping. Could you send me a link to the Craig List. I could not find it.

Thanks for ther reply a help.
If your willing to wait a couple of months, I going to pull a 3 speed out of my 66. Let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have one that I removed from a 1968 coupe 6cyl car. The trans is ok but bell is bad I would trade for a set of front hubs, brakes I went from a 6cyl to V8 I live in northwest oklahoma. email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up. I know my car was built in April of 1965, but don't know the bell housing size.
One reason I wanted to restore the original is because it still has the original clutch pedal and stabilizer bar.
In fact, just removed the stabilizer bar in prep to remove engine.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in no hurry. Hope to pull the engine within the next couple of week. I have nothing but time. I am guessing it will take me 2 years to resore the car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey Gary, if you your interested in my tranny please PM me and I'll give you my contact info. I'm thinking I'll have it out by the new year. The only reason I'm removing the tranny is because I doing a T5 convervesion. I using the origional bell housing. Good Luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Proper color of bell housing

I was wondering if you could tell me the proper color for the bell housing on a 1965 Mustang 6 cyl. 200 3-speed trans. Is it blue or black? The original color of my engine is black but the bell housing is blue. Which color is correct? Thanks! Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.