Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv'e been looking for a 302 to rebuild for our 69 coupe. I found a decent price on an engine out of a 74 bronco. The problem is I am not sure the block will work. Thought I read somewhere not to use the block from trucks. Can anyone tell me if this will work. I am only going to use the block and maybe the heads since they have a fresh rebuild on them but my main goal is to start with the block. If nothing else works for the mustang there will not be much of a loss.
I'm not trying to keep a numbers car. Working on building a weekend driver. Looking for the rearend and front suspension changes before the engine is dropped in. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
682 Posts
Why wouldn't you use a truck motor? :shrug: Hell, this is probably even a Mexican block! :D One thing to be aware of though, is that 73-76 blocks have a .019 higher deck hight, but you can just have it decked and the extra .019 removed so you don't have any other considerations over a "normal" 302 block. If it's a mexican block, I'd definatley use it! :D The extra deck hight will lower the compression and change pushrod length, but those can be easily overcome with aftermarket parts if you don't want to get the block decked.
HTH

·
Registered
19 Posts
generally the truck blocks are better or the same, not worse. I would suggest a retro fit roller cam. And yeah the mexican blocks are thought to be better, i'm not saying its an mexican block though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.