Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I've got is a 1986 5.0 block with forged speed pro flat top pistons 030 over with 10:1 compression, forged eagle rods, stock crank, E303 cam, 1.6:1 Roller rockers, HEI Distributor, 1970 D0OE 351 Heads 60.2cc chambers, pretty much assembled and complete. Now I'm down to the intake and carb.

I,m wondering what a good setup to go with is as far as intake and carb to compliment the motor. Any sugestions?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, my buddies got a weiand stealth dual plane that I can get for 60 bucks and I'll have to start looking for the carb

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've been using a Weiand Stealth and a 600 CFM. Excellent performance. My engine combo is close to yours and it's still pulling at 6000 RPM. I've had my Stealth for 10 years and the design is still popular. Must be for a reason.

If you're looking for a good carb at a real good price, check out Summit's new line of carbs. They've got a nice 600 CFM vacuum sec. for $250 brand new. It's modeled after the Autolite 4100 and Holley parts fit it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Greek.....

Do you have any idea how much power you are putting down? I am planning on running a similar combination as the O.P., and since yours is similar?????

Thank you in advance.
George

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Well you should really toss those 351 heads and go with some modern aluminum ones...but being as you have what you have, any decent Edelbrock intake and carb should have you at around 300 hp

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah wish I had the cash for some aluminum ones but I don't so I guess these will have to do for now.

Anything to watch out for using these heads?

·
Registered
527 Posts
A 60cc chamber isn't that bad with a 10:1 compression ratio. Make sure the springs are ok with whatever cam you are running.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah they've got comp cams springs that are good to .520 lift which is plenty for the E303 cam I'm running and the exhaust seats have been hardend for unleaded gas. Picked em up for $400 with the work already done which was good for me caus I didn't have the $1000+ for aluminum heads

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
With the early 351 OE heads the water passages have a "Dog leg" shape to them. Make sure to use the correct intake gaskets so that you can get the passages to seal with your intake.

I haven't had my engine on a dyno, but it's probably around 300HP at the crank or maybe a little more. I don't really know for sure, but if it was World War II, you could say that I've sunk the Japanese Fleet in my neighborhood. Remember Pearl Harbor!
:needahand:

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Greek, thank you..........how could we ever forget Pearl Harbor! Also, I had to add your quote to my signature....love it!
thanks
George

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats an awsome quote, Go America Go!

What intake gaskets should I use? The stock 351 Or do they make special ones for this application?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts