Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if I missed something or is this an older engine with the 2 part seal? I think it maybe a replacement engine because the motor mounts are even different.
How do I tell what year engine I have?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You will find the date code cast into the engine block near or behind the starter. This would be the casting date of the block. There is also the engine's assembly date code which is much easier to locate. It's a series of letters and numbers (3 or 4) stamped on a small pad located in front of the driver's side cyl. head. If it's missing, it's because they were ground off when the engine block's head surface has been resurfaced for flatness. If that's the case, you'll have to look behind the starter. I've also found that the assembly date codes aren't stamped on the Ford crate engines, at least on the one that I have. If you don't know how to read the date code, post it, someone will help you out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It had a 3 and below that is what looked like a 50 but it was like halve a 5. If someone could help me that would be great.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nobody can help? This sucks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Take a pic and post it of what you see...maybe somebody else will have better luck deciphering that coding.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the greek already answered your question...the #'s you're looking for are cast into the block where the starter goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.