Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a refurbed 302 with 351 heads. Its was built within the last year by a small shop mechanic, for his own car, and then he sold the car with a different engine. The guy had 2 motors, I think one was new and one was refurbished. I have to check on the details of this one, but what should I look out for? What do you think this would be worth?

I am going to put this in my 1966 mustang 6 cylinder. thanks!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
You have your work cut out for you, I think several of the Mustang web sites have done the I6 to V8 swap, there's a lot more to it than just changing the motor. This swap would really make it go. First off the 351's have larger combustion chambers, so compression has decreased, unless he used higher compression pistons to compensate. I think the price depends on how good a job he did on the rebuild, a rebuild diy would probably cost between 400 and 600 unless you had to bore an engine and install new pistons, and not including the price of the motor. Sbf engines are plentiful and cheap, you might want to consider a 5.0 from a salvage yard and diy rebuild. I would look at the areas where the gaskets are and see if he used silicone adhesive, this might give an idea the quality of work he did. There are ways to cut costs on a rebuild, that I personally don't like. The other problem with this is you don't know how much wear in on the cylinder walls, if it has a lot of wear, even re-ringing it, it could have a lot of blow-by. You might ask him some questions, like what he replaced on the rebuild, then it depends on how truthful he is. Good Luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thanks, not sure about the details on the engine. I should find out this week. I don't have much time to do it my self so something that is ready to go might be it.

I have upgraded my suspension, rear differential, axles, brakes, wheels and tires already. About the only thing left is cooling, trans and engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If your car has four lug spindles and small drum brakes, the extra power and weight have your car going faster than you can safely get it stopped. The 302 might force you to look for a new radiator with intake and exit at the correct locations and larger in size to be able to cool the large engine. Old 6 cylinder springs and shocks will need to be replaced with stiffer units, but not immediately.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I did the 302 swap and I have stalled. You are going to need a lot of stuff you should start collecting it now.
Motor mounts, transmission crossmember, radiator, if you use AOD transmission your going to need a kick down cable from lokar. The list goes on but that should get you started. The 351 won't fit with headers unless you have a special kind even with a 302 the need to be small for the engine bay.
Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.