Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much power can i get out of a 302? what would i have to do to make it carburated ? i have a 5.0 ho fox . and is it better ?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
You can get a lot of power out of a 302, depending on how you build it. Based on your other thread, I'm guessing you want to know what power level is realistic for a daily driver.
You can make 300-325 fairly easily, you just get the right parts. You mentioned about adding nitrous, is that part of this question? Or straight engine power? If you intend on using nitrous, that'll affect what parts you should or shouldn't get.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Is street legality a concern? What's the budget for the engine? That will determine what route to take with it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
50 ho is very good..how many miles on engine? Are u looking to get it bored a bit? Maybe new bottom end? Any of this work u doin yourself or gonna have it done?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
96k but is been sitting for 6 years im planing to do anything to get the most power out of my motor all motor though. no i know how to do custom body work not a good mechanic i just know simple stuff. i use to be a honda guy my first muscle car

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm learning too. I am in no way shape or form a mechanic. But I follow directions and have learned to be patient and take my time. I also have assembled a decent tool box.

What performance parts did your car come with?

This is what I have learned so far>

Figure out what your end goal will be. Find out what you will need and where it will come from that way you dont buy a part then have to replace it later. Research installation of the parts you want and figure out if you have a place, the tools, ability and someone who can help you if you get in a jam. If not look for a shop that is willing to do the work and see what they will charge to do the whole thing at one time.

Whatever you do get a tablet and zip lock bags. When you remove something that has different sized bolts draw a little picture that you understand and will understand if you have to take a break from the car so you know how to put everything back.

Anyway if you are going for 300 which will be about 80-90 hp more then stock you could buy a top end kit from Edelbrock, Trick flow, Holley, Ford, Etc. Don't forget that the suspension is turning at least 17 this year and the rubber is probably not nearly as good as it used to be so a bushing kit is in order maybe engine mounts and transmission mounts (dont go solid).

This is where I went wrong. I bought a complete bushing kit. Then I bought new upper and lower control arms. I am also thinking about going tubular K member and A Arms. So at this point half my bushing kit is wasted unless I can sell em. I did not plan long enough ahead and did not think it out before I started ordering parts.

I forgot what year your mustang is. If it is mass air I would not change to carberator. Just my biased opinion. I had an 86 mustang that was carb. Granted it was a 4 banger, but the carberator was not friendly to me had to be rebuilt 2 times in the 156k miles I put on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.