Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost of info on these heads, and many other heads so didn't list them all in the title. Have 302 w/notched pistons. Cam is comp roller 224 / 230 at .500 lift, with max lift at .513. I am going to use 1.6 to 1 roller rockers. Want to get around 350 hp for 65 must coupe. Also, want to use the tri-y headers I have for a period look. Does anyone have either of these heads on their 302? What about the 1.90 intake vs the 2.02 intake, is there any benefit for street use?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I used the Edelbrock RPM heads on the last 302 I built. SInce It was carbed, I used the small valves to keep the port velocity high. Car ran like a raped ape.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks .boB,

Great reply, and I'll take that as a vote for the Edelbrock RPM heads with the smaller valves (1.90 and 1.60), and ports. And, maybe even a warning that maybe I better buckle-up tight, and make sure my clutch and tires are in good shape, too!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Oh, yeah! Hang on. Don't be afraid to make friends at the tire store, either.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Funning timing, I just got a set of the AFR 165 delivered this week, look great with the CNC machining. These are the street heads and have the 1.90/1.60 valves. MM & FF did a test several years ago using almost the same cam as you and saw a 90hp gain with the AFR heads and 87 with the Edlebrock ones over stock @ 5,800 rpm. Cam used for the test was .512 lift intake/exhaust and 212/218 duration at .050 lift, 114 LSA, Comp Cam number XE264HR. Either one will work just fine, cost being the main difference.
Dave
Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, well AFR is the best in my opinion, but if you want to save a couple hundred Edelbrocks will do, if your looking for a period correct look there are some great iron heads too from World.

Im personally running a set of 289 heads that I port matched the exhaust to the gasket. Put 1.84in/1.5ex valves and just smothed the bowls a bit, didnt touch the intake runners though, just massaged them a hair. The last motor I had them installed on ran a best of [email protected] on the 1/8th with a 3 speed manual and the stock 2.79:1 rear ratio on a 245/60/14 tire so grip was down and I needed to slip the clutch past the 60' to prevent tire spin. Compression was 10.0:1 with edelbrock performer, 650 double pumper, tri-y headers, 2.5 exhuast through flows series 40. Cam was their 270H series 224/224 at 50 and 512 lift was is? Oh the car was a 66 coupe, Still running the heads just on a slightly tweeked version of the last motor and it feels way stronger :)

·
Banned
7,169 Posts
they are both very good heads! the afr heads will make a little more power, but also cost a couple hundred more. but both very good...also stay with 1.9 valve on either one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.