Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 1983 with a 302 HO. This car is far from stock that i can tell but the guy i bought it from couldnt tell me what exactly was done to it. From what i can tell, it has a 650 cfm edelbrock 4 barrel carb, edelbrock high rise dual plan intake (which is a f4b i believe), headers with 3" exhaust and a cat delete, accel coil, and from the sound of it, at least a mild cam. Also it has a posi rearend which ive been told was 3:73. I dont know what heads. They made be stock or they may not. It also has an aftermarket electric fuel pump that runs at 6psi at idle. This car needs a transmission so i havent been able to drive it at all and im really curious as to what this car can do since im not able to drive it at the moment. From what i said, any ideas as to what kind of power this thing might be making? Please no negative comments. I know some stuff but im sort of new at this.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
originally it made around 200hp, assuming stock heads, it probably makes maybe 230 with a cam/intake...it doesn't have "posi", Ford uses "limited slip" rear ends...furthermore Posi is a GM term for a locking diff...the Ford unit is known as "detroit locker" and it came in the 9", noisy, strong, drag racers love it because you have 3 teeth always meshing in the chunk...
Just work you car up as you can, don't get caught up in "hp/dyno" bs

S

·
0 Posts
Hello Kenny, and Welcome to our Great Site here at AFM:bigthumbsup
Make sure that you check out our Year/Platform specific Forum pages so you can Post or just Read about The Stangs that our Members have that are of your Mustangs Same Year/Era
You can Navigate to the whole Site by clicking on the "Tech" Icon at the upper right hand side of this Forum page. Have Fun.
And Thank You for Joining All Ford Mustangs
:bigthumbsup

And according to Ford the 1983 Mustang GT made 175 BHP. (The 1982 made 157 HP) but there were a couple of big upgrades for the '83 Model year, the biggest being the addition of the Hotter "Marine Cam Shaft" that they borrowed from the 302ci engine that came from the Mercury Marine (Mercruiser) Company

And I agree with 2Manystangs, don't get caught up in the HP/TQ crap, as it means Nothing! You have a "Gem" that is 30 Years old, and could THRASH just about everything on the road back then......Enjoy the car!

Sean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the site! Ditto 2Manystangs & Sean Reilly. I had a stock 1985 GT and it was great back then. Awesome for it's day. I'm sure you'll enjoy working with it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts