Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reinstalling the intake manifold for the first time and noticed to holes, one on each head. I am not sure what these are and I am afraid to move any further. The heads are properly torqed and intake gaskets were properly placed with just the right amount of RTV in all the right palces but once I actually set the intake in place, I noticed these holes in the the center of each head facing in the intake manifold. In the crappy phone pic you can see driverside hole about even with where the carb sits. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
That is an exhaust passage to allow exhaust to flow through the center passage under the carburetor to help heat it up. The problem is, if the passage is open, then exhaust gasses and noise will be present there. It seems like the intake and heads are from two different engines. Looking at the engineering numbers on the intake and heads will give the years, like C5AF is C=60's 5=+5 so 1965, some examples D0=1970, D4=1974, E8=1988, get the idea. If you had the engine running before and exhaust was not leaking, then the passages in the head are not open. Good Luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. Yeah the engine was running with all the same components. One, everything was filthy when it came apart and two, it was torn down a year ago so I wouldn't even remember if I had seen this last summer or not. You put my mind at ease thanks :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
***Correction....The intake and heads were together on this engine and running for the last few years. Now, wether or not they are SUPPOSED to be together is anybodys guess but up untill the cracked head gasket last summer it was a good running dependable lil 302 with this intake and head setup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts