Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody well iam in the stage of rebuilding my 302 iam almost done iam putting back the pistons iam on #8 the last one and some how the crankshaft doesnt want to turn i took the chain off to try to turn it and i couldnt it seems its like it stuck so i dont know what to do any ideas :headscratch:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It shouldn't take much effort to spin the rotating assembly over by hand. I can't remember the exact torque spec, but it's not much.

The empty crank should spin extremly easily by hand.

Did you turn the crank with each pair of pistons? If so, When did it suddenly stop moving? Remove those pistons and see what happens. Check them over carefully. If you need to, plastigauge the bearings.

Either one of the rods is on backwards, or you have the wrong size rod bearings. That's my guess.

Unfortunatly, rod bearings are single use only.

·
Registered
176 Posts
With all pistons installed and camshaft you should have approximately 23 - 30 ft/lbs of torque to spin it.

It sounds as though you have one or more of your rod(s) turned the wrong way. Are you positive you have the chamfer or radiused side of the rod and bearing on the radius of the crank journal?

I assume you are using some type of lube during assembly?
As mentioned above, you should also know exactly what your bearing clearances are before final assembly... otherwise it's possible you are too loose or too tight on the rod bearing clearance.
Take nothing for granted... measure everything before final assembly! Pay attention to the small details as well as the obvious.
Good luck.

I don't know about the using bearing "once" theory... I've always torqued mine to spec during pre-build checks and used the same ones if they were good to go.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Sounds like the dudes hit the nail, you have something binding somewhere concerning the other 7 rods and pistons. Start over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.