Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 302 and was wondering if I should get it stroked to a 347 or switch to a stroked 351W. I am not sure if I am correct with the stroked 351W to 393? but what is the better choice...cost-wise? I know there is no substitute for cubic inches, but I am looking for the most power for the money.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
If you go the 351 route you will need better heads, headers and a 351 intake. So it will be more expensive than using a 347 stroker.

I would probably go with a 347 or 331 stroker, will be a bit lighter, and you can reuse everything.

·
Registered
682 Posts
GTRaptor said:
If you go the 351 route you will need better heads, headers and a 351 intake. So it will be more expensive than using a 347 stroker.
From looking at his sig, it looks like he has stock heads, and a Performer intake, neither of which will be very good at making power, especially on a stroker. You can use your stock heads if they are ported, but the Performer just won't cut it. If you can find a used set of aluminum heads, or a set of iron performance heads, that will probaly cost less than porting the stock heads and having them redone.

I live in a place where used aluminum heads are nothing but a good dream, let alone getting a good deal on a set. So, I'm "stuck" with a set of 351W heads that I found in the trunk of my car. With some DIY porting, and a little visit to the machiene shop, I should have heads capable of supporting 450hp, but I would have gotten a set of used aluminum heads if I could.

So, I'd say a 351W stroker might be $200 more than a 331/347, but you'd get more power out of it. Besides, there ain't no replacement for displacement :D
HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.