Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I a 91 lx tht has 180K miles on it when I bought it..in about 2months of owning it, I've put in few performance parts, a GT40 upper/lower Intake, BBK equal lenght headers, stronger T5 with 2.95 1st..now, Im debating if I should go stroker or get 351W! I knw I can get a 351W easy ad cheap.....now my question is, what parts from 302 I can use/transfer to 351W...are this two engine intercahngable? what are the advantages and disadvantages of this swap?
thx in advance:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
well i know on 94 and 95 we can put 351 heads on a 302,so i'm thinkin u should be able to do it on a older 5.0 block.. I dont c why u wouldn't be able to unless they changed the block some.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yea 347 have a shorter stroke therefore rev up faster then the 351..but on the downside of a stroker kit on the 5.0 roller block weakens the block dramtically.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
yea 347 have a shorter stroke therefore rev up faster then the 351..but on the downside of a stroker kit on the 5.0 roller block weakens the block dramtically.
The blocks already a weak point from the get go. Clearancing the cylinder walls has nothing to do with weak Main webing. And its not just the stroke it the lighter rotating assembly that helps it out accelerate the 351

·
Registered
137 Posts
The 347 may rev faster but a 351 could be stroked if you wanted also to unleash some beastly power and torque. Also with some simple head/intake swaps the 351 would out power the 347 for way cheaper than it would cost to build a 347 in the first place. Both are great engines but i dont really like the idea of boring and stroking a 302 to its max. As for swapping parts the heads from a 302 will work on a 351W for added compression on put 351W heads on a 302 for better breathing. I believe the bores are the same but a 351 can be bored out more than a 302. Im sure the accessories and pullies are mostly interchangeable but im not positive.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Also with some simple head/intake swaps the 351 would out power the 347 for way cheaper than it would cost to build a 347 in the first place. Both are great engines but i dont really like the idea of boring and stroking a 302 to its max.
Set up both a 347 and a 351's Top end the same. The 347 wins. It may be down on power, but it accelerates quicker. Power isnt everything(to an extent). You cant compare a properly set up 418 to a properly set up 347. The 347 cant overcome the Cubes.

And a 347 is not taking a 302 to it max, not even close. 363 from a 302 now thats max in my book. But requires a heck of a Block to do so.

The 351s down fall are the heavy rotating assembly and 3in mains.

·
Registered
396 Posts
302 to 351 conversion

There are a ton of posts outlining the swap down to the bolt. The basics:

Exhaust mods-heads are the same but deck height different so will need to do something.

Oil pan-bolt holes are different

Distributor is different.

Intake is different.

Depends on your engine but you also may have to change flywheel and damper for 28 oz from 50 oz.

to all the others 347 vs. 351, there simply is no comparision in potential. The stock 351 can take gobs more power than a stock 302. If you are a once and done and happy with 425hp or so, great, stick with the 347, but go bigger than say 500hp with a stock 302 block, not a chance it will split in half.

I went with the 9.2 SVO block for the best of both and chance to go WAY up if I want to.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Interchangeable:
heads (302 uses 7/16 bolts, 351 uses 1/2 inch so you have to drill the holes bigger to use on 351)
cam
timing cover
timing set
rocker arms
upper intake (EFI)
water pump

Not interchangeable:
lower intake (EFI)
intake (carb)
distributor
oil pump
oil pump driveshaft