Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm looking for information sources on tuning a 302. I've got a 302 bored .30 over with Edelbrock heads, Performer RPM cam shaft, tri Y headers and some other internal goodies. It runs good but it just doesn't have that kick in the pants feel that I would expect, especially after I drove another guys 65 with a run of the mill 302. It's also got a new C4 with a converter that's been matched to the camshaft. I've already googled some sites but I keep getting a bunch of product stuff rather than tuning info. Any recommendations on info sites or any guidance on some tuning tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
360 Posts
Need more info Dave, like intake, CR, exhaust system, ignition system, carb, etc., then might be able to give some suggestions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the dilli-o

302 bored .30

TRW Forged Pistons

Manley H Rods

Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake dual plane 4 BBL

Edelbrock Perfromer RPM camshaft

Duration
Advertised @ .050
Int Exh Int Exh
290° 300° 224° 234°

Lift
@ Cam @ Valve
Int Exh Int Exh
.310 .325 .496 .520

Timing @ .050
Intake Exhaust
Open Close Open Close
5° BTDC 39° ABDC 54° BBDC 0° ATDC

Centerlines
Lobe Intake
Seps. Ctrline
112° 107°

Holley 4150 Carb 550 CFM (not sure of the jet size)

Tri Y headers

2.5" Dual Exhaust to Dynomax Turbos
No X or cross over pipe

C4 Automatic with mild shift kit and Converter matched to cam specs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoops, I forgot the ignition,

MSD 6AL brain box and an MSD street-pro billet distibutor with vacuum advance and an Accel coil.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That sounds like good parts!!

Does it run weak at all RPM's or just at certain points? The TRW pistons are generally rated optimistic for CR, have you got the actual CR for the engine?

The RPM cam and intake are designed for high RPM power, so it will likely be a bit soft off idle up to about 2000 RPM. I would check the advance curve in the MSD dist., it might not have a fast enough curve in it for that cam/intake combo. Your initial timing will likely need to be around 10*-12* BTDC for decent idle characteristics, perhaps even more if the CR is on the low side of what that cam requires.

The other thing I noticed was the small cfm Holley carb, that is likely to restrict high RPM power some.

Try to describe the running characteristics of the engine. ie. starting hard, poor idle(vacuum reading @idle and cruise would help), hesitation, stalling, bogging, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.