Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im helping a friend of mine put together a street/strip engine and Ive got a question about the oil pump.The engine is a 306,forged flat top pistons,crank has been turned and polished .10 under with 10 over bearings,stock rods,then the typical 350 hp bolt on trick flow package.This car will be mainly street duty with your every other weekend trip to the strip.Is a stock volume oil pump plenty for this engine or will there be any reason to install a high volume pump?Are there any downsides to installing a high volume pump on this package.Thanks for the help

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Stock volume is more than fine. Just inspect it when you get and make sure there are no little piece of metal inside, oil up and go.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the following statement true or false.High volume pump installed on this motor will cause oil starvation to the main bearings?

·
Registered
640 Posts
no, I have a 306 that I built and I have a HV oil pump and at operating temp I have 46 psi of oil pressure @ idle and like 60 psi @ WOT. I also have a 7 qt moroso oil pan too...

·
Registered
101 Posts
a good rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000rpm.a stock pump will be more than enough.but a h.v. wont hurt eitheroldguy.gif

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good.Il go ahead and put a hv pump in it then.Ive seen a few engine builders put oil restricters between the cam and main bearings before.Seemed like if one is using a hv pump without a 7 quart oil pan,the pickup might run low on oil during high rpms,but I guess there would be alot of blown motors,if that was the case

·
Registered
101 Posts
the oil restrictors are for solid lifter cams.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats too bad.Seemed like it would be a good ideal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts