Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that aren't familiar, I've had a vibration issue with my DSS 331 motor as well as spinning a rod bearing with less than 1,000 miles on it. Well, I finally got all my parts in except for the spiral locks from DSS. So I figured today I would do a clearance check on the main bearings. I plan on posting pic's of the entire build process.

The build will consist of the following:

DSS 331 Bullet short block
Trick Flow stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow 1.6 Rockers
Trick Flow Track Heat Intake
75mm TB
C&L flow tube
24 lb injectors
and so on.......

So the clearances on the crank were as follows:

#1 .0015"
#2 .0015"
Thrust .0015"
#4 .002"
#5 .002"

Is it ok that #4 and #5 are larger?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that DSS said my brand new Ford Racing flywheel was 29 grams off so they rebalanced the crank and flywheel.

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
Chances are they'll be alright as long as you use bearings that take that into account. That .0005 may not sound like much but it could be so make sure that's within the tolerance for the bearings you'll be using.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using clevite bearings. How do I know if the bearings take that difference into account?

·
Registered
504 Posts
did you use a plastic gauge. or did you do it with pression measuring tools.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used plastigauge.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i think right there is the big problem in you measuring. i never use that stuff i just cant trust it.

i mic the crank then use a bore gauge for the main bore. then mic the bearings. do the math. much more accurate too.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You never use plastigauge? I've been told that stuff is pretty accurate. I'd do it the way you're mentioning except I don't have a bore gauge.

·
Registered
504 Posts
nope only reason i would use it is if a customer would like me to check main bearings in there truck with the crank in. and thats just to get a ruff estimate on bearing wear. ive used it before i just dont think its accurate.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got an email back from DSS and he said I should scotch bright the bearings till they all read .002.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some pic's on some of the parts going on, I can't wait. Yes, I know the flywheel needs to be resurfaced, still looking for a machine shop.

I'm also looking for valve covers and might go with these. Trick Flow said they would clear my roller rockers so we'll see.
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-5140B801 - Trick Flow® Cast Aluminum Valve Covers - Suggested Parts - SummitRacing.com

Then I would need this too.
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51400800 - Trick Flow® Billet Oil Fill Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Do not go by plastigage if you are building a high performance engine you want to last.
has it been done? Yes.
Is it accurate? No.

Here's an article.

Plastigage Versus Micrometer - Accuracy Test - Car Craft Magazine

Plastigage showed twice as tight of clearances as the micrometer

Do yourself a favor and buy an affordable set of mics, find a friend who has a set, or get a shop to measure your clearances.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
So far so good. Also take a look at the intake as my Trickflow was supposed to be a 75mm opening and it was only 73mm which is no big deal but I opened it up anyway so that it was all uniform.

Also what rockers do you have as I just finished putting some Comp ultra gold rockers on with the standard Trickflow valve covers and they fit. I did have to weld a baffle on there. I also had to cut a hole and weld a small little tube as to put a breather on. Good luck:bigthumbsup

You can see some pics from my little engine build here
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-talk/241075-got-some-new-engine-pics.html

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far so good. Also take a look at the intake as my Trickflow was supposed to be a 75mm opening and it was only 73mm which is no big deal but I opened it up anyway so that it was all uniform.

Also what rockers do you have as I just finished putting some Comp ultra gold rockers on with the standard Trickflow valve covers and they fit. I did have to weld a baffle on there. I also had to cut a hole and weld a small little tube as to put a breather on. Good luck:bigthumbsup

You can see some pics from my little engine build here
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-talk/241075-got-some-new-engine-pics.html
I'm running Trick Flow 1.6 rockers. I just bought these and was told they should fit.
FORD RACING BLACK MUSTANG VALVE COVER SET 302 COBRA SVT: eBay Motors (item 110547682173 end time Jul-20-10 02:46:09 PDT)

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I am not sure about those valve covers but I am sure you can get them to work.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's my intake. I need some help with the vacuum routing. I am not running EGR. Does it go like this?

1. vacuum tree
2. FPR
3. plug
4. plug
5. plug
6. pcv

I've seen some set up that run the hose that goes from the pcv to one end of #6 and then to either #4 or #5. I'm so confused......too many ports...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a hose running from 4 to the plugged side of 6, then 6 goes to the PCV.
What's the point of running the hose from two different sections of the manifold?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm not sure, but that's how it was on my stock intake, so I ran it that way on my Trick Flow intake.

Does the T on the intake actually go through to the intake, or is the threaded part solid? It may not be a T, but just a way to attach the hose there to support it. Not sure on that.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good question on the T, I'll have to take it off and check.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.