Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i were to build a 331 stroker, what else do i neede. If i start with a short block, are there special 331 heads or cams out there that have to be ran? If i have a stock 302 out of a 88 mustang will a 331 kit just go in and automaticaly make more power? Im curious as to how in-depth it would be. Also how do i know what cc pistons to use?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm thinking of doing a 331 stroker kit on my original 289. I think you could go back to the original heads and cam but why would you want to after investing in the stroker kit! I will probably go with AFR 165s and am also considering a roller cam conversion kit so I can run a little more agressive cam without affecting the idle too much. Any head and cam that fits the 302 will fit the 331 - you are not changing the block only the displacement. From all I've read you are going to get more torque and hp out of the stroker, substainally more with the right induction system. The piston size would depend on your new bore if the block needs it. Depending on how you plan to use the engine you might want to go with forged pistons. All depends on how much you want to spend and how you are going to use the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.