Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys going in friday for a gear swap from a 331 to a possible 410. The shop I'm having do the work has all the the parts in stock for a 373 or 410, which ever I want.
Question is, should I go with the 410 or the 373? Car is a daily driver but not to concerned with fuel mileage as my job not to far away. I just worry that the 410 is to low a gear to go. Please help me to decide before I go in on Friday. Mods to car already are, cai, bama tune, and axelback exhaust. Car is a 2011 GT

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just had 4.10's put in last week. I like them. There not too bad on the highway either, but i dont drive over 65 on the highway. I have a 5 speed. I feel it is the perfect gear for these cars.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey guys going in friday for a gear swap from a 331 to a possible 410. The shop I'm having do the work has all the the parts in stock for a 373 or 410, which ever I want.
Question is, should I go with the 410 or the 373? Car is a daily driver but not to concerned with fuel mileage as my job not to far away. I just worry that the 410 is to low a gear to go. Please help me to decide before I go in on Friday. Mods to car already are, cai, bama tune, and axelback exhaust. Car is a 2011 GT
What feels right to one person may be way to much (or not enough) for another. I'd try to find one with 3.73's on a local dealer lot and take it for a test drive. You should be able to decide if you want more based on that. -Thomas

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just had 4.10's put in last week. I like them. There not too bad on the highway either, but i dont drive over 65 on the highway. I have a 5 speed. I feel it is the perfect gear for these cars.
Based on what I've read, I think 4.10's on your car would be about the same as 3.73's on a 6M. -Thomas

·
Registered
29 Posts
Really, unless you're driving a lot on freeways, 4.10's are fine. Better acceleration, and if you're in town or on the highway, you should be fine... You'll just go through the gears faster. On the freeway, where you're likely driving 75+ MPH, they're gonna suck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
JMO but the way the MT82 is geared with the 3.73's it's like having close to 4.88's in a T56. I drove a T56 equipped F-body for 13 yrs and even with 3.90's or 4.10's it was never as steeply geared as these 5.0's. This Mustang is basically geared from the factory.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
137 Posts
For my 05, 4.10s sucked on the highway in all counts. Acceleration sucked and mpg's went down. I do 75mph though, 65 or less made a big difference. As for the acceleration, I've since read that 4.10s are not a good gear for racing on highways. My dilemma was mashing the gas at 70mph getting lack luster acceleration due to not being able to shift down to 3rd (rpm limited). Perhaps the gearing with the 6sd is better.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Why do you want to swap gears?
Any other future mods?

I originally had 3.31's and felt they made the car seem lethargic and boring so I swapped in some 3.73's. It made a very noticeable difference 1st-3rd gear pulling noticeably harder than the 3.31's for sure. 4th gear actually felt a tad weaker than 4th with the 3.31's for some reason but 6th was now useable. 6th with 3.31's wasn't useable and was too "deep" unless you were cruising over 80. Overall the 3.73's made the car more fun. I could imagine 4.10's being even more fun but annoying at the same time at highway speeds and traffic.
Imo, 3.55's should have been the stock gear, 3.31's are lame unless you have forced induction and even then I'd rather have 3.55's.

Perfect for me I'd imagine(in a dream world) would be 4.10's with a 7th over drive gear.

·
Registered
532 Posts
IMO the only reason to do 4.10s would be for racing...

The 3.73s provide plenty of pull, but 1st to 2nd revs up FAST, to the point where I would swap them for 3.55s as the best compromise...

With 4.10s, 1st to 2nd is gonna go by at LIGHT SPEED, but with the right tires and a tow cable hookup, you can pull tree stumps out for gas money ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go for the 4.10's.:bigthumbsup

I drive 60 miles a day on the highway at 70-80. Rpms are about 2500-2800. The ride is fine and not noticeable at all. My wifes pilot and my old BMW are in the same RPM range at that speed as well.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I started a thread that is titled 3.73 vs 4.10 or something similar, maybe search for that, it may have good info for you.

I ultimately decided on the 3.73's and couldn't be happier. 3.31's are way too tall and should have never been offered on the car imo. The 3.73's are perfect for me and 6th is useable. I'd imagine 4.10's would be even more fun, but my wife and I do like to take the Mustang on some long roadtrips from time to time and in Colorado and Utah, speed limits are 75mph (even some 80mph spots) so I like to keep the cruising rpm's somewhat manageable.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Really, unless you're driving a lot on freeways, 4.10's are fine. On the freeway, where you're likely driving 75+ MPH, they're gonna suck.
100% completely untrue. I have a 112-mile round trip highway commute and my 4.10s are just fine on the highway. Turn about 2650rpm at 80mph, which is only a difference of about 240rpm from 3.73s. I don't know why people are so scared of short gears on the highway. We have a really tall 6th gear that makes up for it. I love my 4.10s and they are one of my favorite mods I've done so far. I came from 3.55s btw.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't like my 3.73s on the freeway, I feel like the rpms are too high. I'd personally prefer the 3.53s. Also, if you care about top speed you'll be limited to the 140 range with 4.10s... My 3.73s will do 157 or so on the limiter in 5th.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanx for all your responces, I think I will pull the trigger on the 410's :gringreen The guys at the shop where I'm getting done also recommended the 410's if I dont do alot of highway miles. Getting them installed today and I cant wait.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I don't like my 3.73s on the freeway, I feel like the rpms are too high. I'd personally prefer the 3.53s. Also, if you care about top speed you'll be limited to the 140 range with 4.10s... My 3.73s will do 157 or so on the limiter in 5th.

Actually with 4.10s on your car it would still go over 200mph in 6th so no, sorry you wont be limited:nono: Not by gearing anyway. Drag, wind, aerodynamics, yes.

Pull up a simple gear/rpm calculator. Make sure to punch in all the correct gearing. And you'll see how wrong you are:bigthumbsup

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

·
Registered
209 Posts
4.10 on the 5-speed is much different than 4.10 on the new gearbox. If you avoid the highway the 4.10's can't be beat for acceleration, but you'd probably be an idiot taking that thing on an 80 mph cross-country roadtrip. Especially with a loud exhaust. Make sure you have a good driver-mod to get that power to the ground.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts