Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 347 long block that I bought, has never been used yet.

I am wondering what weights do I use to balance it. Its a 1991 Mustang GT that its going in, it has a 281HR cam, roller rockers, comp cam springs, eagle stroker kit, keith black hyper pistons, bored .040 over. Trick flow track heat intake and stock heads.

I have the stock 50 oz flywheel from the 306 I had in it, I also have a professional products balancer with both a 50 oz and 28 oz counterweight. Do I run the 28-50 or 50-50 or will I be needing to get a 28 oz flywheel?

Also whats an estimated HP? Stock heads are really choking it off.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Almost all stroker motors are a 28oz balance... so you will need a 28oz flywheel to match your 28oz balancer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the long block should have a spec sheet. When i bought my rotating assembly it came with a spec sheet that shows what it was balance to. Most 347 stroker engines are balanced with 28oz. I believe a 50oz balance would take too much metal out the crank therefor making it weaker.

·
Registered
233 Posts
correct. I ordered the balancer and flywheel from the same place i got my stroker from and they were both 28oz.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the part number : 16022030B

I googled it and found that it is a 28 oz imbalance indeed. So I am needing a 28 oz flywheel along with the 28oz weight on the professional products balancer I have correct?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
YES......

And stock heads :eek:hknow

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope your Correct, eagle said that kit comes either balanced or not, maybe the b means it's balanced lol.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
If they told you it was balanced then they meant that all the pieces (rotating assembly) have been balanced to each other. Either way you still need to find out if it is a 28 oz or internal?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The machine shop doesn't have the machine to balance the assembly, also it came without a flywheel or balancer.

They said it was internally balanced but that kit is designed to be balanced to 28oz. They said I'd be fine If I ran the stock balancer and flywheel too. I think someone is pulling my chain ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I can find the kit that they put in is balanced within 2 percent of the target weight, which is the 28 oz on each side. Think I'll get away with it?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
You need to balance the rotating assembly with the balancer and flywheel if you want to do it correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts