Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story, but my first block is bad. I am picking up a new block tomorrow and i believe it is another 87 mustang block. Question is, would it be better to clean up the forged stock pistons than to use hyper pistons? The engine was running when taken out of the car, but i am still going to rebuild it and i'm guessing its in good enough condition just to be ported. would that be better?
Also, i decided to build a 347!!! I am going to keep stock heads for a little while becaue of money, but i figured might as well stroke it while i have everything out. I'm going to try to port one of the sets i will have and see how good/bad of job i do. and i read it will affect my rpm range greatly? is that true cause the 351 had them stock...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nevermind about that. thought you could use the standard pistons. can you use standard pistons for 331? i think i may just stick to the 306 and build that awesomely.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
What do you mean by "standard pistons"?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
with a 306 your changing bore size not stroke but you will still need different size pistons than stock.

foxchasis i think he meant stock pistons.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Stock heads on a 347? You ought'a be strangled!:so

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
To make either a 331 or 347, it requires the block to be bored .030 over and that means all new pistons. If you want a 306, you can do that too but again, a 306 is bored .030 over. To keep the stock type pistons, you'll keep the 4.000 bore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry, i meant to say i thought i could use standard 30 over pistons. i already have new pistons for a 306 and i thought they would be able to be used on the stroker crank and rods, but i was wrong.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Yes, the 331 and 347 has the wrist pin in a different location than those for a 306.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Good luck with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.