Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at buying a complete 347 stroker from ford racing but heard nothing but bad about them . they make around 450 horses or so they say. i was also told i could bore my stock block to a 306ci , add heads , intake cam ,supercharger , etc and make the same or more horsepower and have a stronger motor. keep in mind i'm looking for 500+ rwhp. i was looking for some input from u guys on ur setups and what the best option is for that much rwhp and the strongest block possible ( i have a very heavy foot) for my application. any input greatly appriciated

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you are looking for a strong block, check out World Castings or Dart. The Ford Racing stuff is ok . . but if you really go hard . . and you go high horses . . they have a tendency to split down the middle.

I am goin to build a small block 427 that is based on World Castings' 351 block. I expect to see over 500 hp from the motor. Add to that, a supercharger, water methanol injection, nitro-methane additive, yada yada yada and I am likely to see hp numbers well into the 900 range.

Simply put . . you CANNOT do that with a Ford Racing block . . it'll crack.

If you are SERIOUS about building BIG horsepower, spend the money and do it right. World Castings' blocks are just as good as Dart Blocks, but they are less expensive. There are a lot of options out there . . do your homework before you open your wallet. :cool:

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have skimmed over the details on that kit. I don't think the pistons, rods, or crank are forged. Add to that a stock block, and you will be on borrowed time from day 1. The ford racing A4 block is strong but pricey. If your looking for 500rwhp, I wouldn't put anything in there that wasn't forged. I would suggest an Edelbrock RPM intake, afr 185 heads, 30 overbore, forged internals, Ed Curtis custom cam, and a s-trim or P1SC charger. Keep the compression between 8.5 to 9:1. Don't go skimpy on the fuel parts either. They are the most important.

·
Registered
721 Posts
That's the nice thing about the World Castings short block . . . all forged parts, balanced, it includes the block, crank, rods, pistons, caps, and bearings. And, the block has about an extra inch of material in the front and rear bulkheads. Its heavier than a stock block, but it aon't gonna break!! It doesn't include a cam . . . you choose your own.

The 427 small block short block is about $4,500. The bare block is about $2,400. Both are a pretty good deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.