Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building a 400-430hp 347 stroker for my 93 foxbody, i need to know what the best options are for tuning it? I don't have the desirable ECU in the mustang right now. I will be throwing on Edelbrock E-205 heads with the Performer RPM II intake as well as a COMP-XE282HR camshaft. im going to have bigger injectors as well as fuel pump mass air and throttle body. Any ideas on the best way to tune the beast? i thought it would be nice to be able to tune it myself so i can make it a bit faster for drag nights and make it a bit more conservative for daily driving. Either way it doesnt matter as long as i can get all the power out of it as i can.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a very similar combination in my 94.If you are dead set on tuning it yourself look at the AFM PMS unit or Moats quarterhorse.If you have a good local shop you can get it dynotuned and have a chip burned for it with 3-4 different programs on it you can change on the fly by a turn of the dial.Everyone has there own opinions on whats best but personally I bought the AFM unit and turned right around and sold it after talking with a top local Mustang turner(Lidio at Alternative here in MI).He said he can tune it far better with the current SCT software he uses to burn custom chips.Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Little background on my own experience. I have a 4 year degree in electronics engineering and have a good understanding of both the hardware and software side of interfacing components, specifically microcontrollers. With that being said I spent 2 years in my free time fighting the monster that is self tuning through an aftermarket system. Despite everything I learned through school, forum help, and other sources the car never ran right. What people have to realize with self tuning in general no car is the same and always reacts differently. So what works for one setup might be miles off on another. Example of this was I couldn't even get my car to idle for more than 2 secs without playing with the startup fuel tables where other people can get away with it running just being really rich running the same injectors. In the end I got the car close to running but now where ideal (430rwhp baseline with my tune). I took the car to a reputable tuner Kevin Hand of wicked motorsports who tweaked it for an additional 70rwhp and worked out all the bugs i was having from overheating, pinging, and stalling issues. For me in the end the investment to self tune wasn't really worth the time, aggravation and would have been better off taking it to a professional in the first place.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Like others have said tuning yourself is a chore and takes time and know how. Also without a dyno you will have to find a place to open her up to change the WOT tables. I use a Moates and the only reason I got it cause I have a good friend who tunes using Diablo and SCT and he pretty much did it for me while I helped about 15% of the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts