Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with the 347 stroker I have in my 88 Mustang, It was running fine and I had decided to change the distributor, I pulled the old one out and went to drop the new one in, discovering that it was damaged and would not work, i put the original one back in.

Now, the car will not start, and it seems to be turning over unusually slow, from what I can tell. Anybody have any tips or tricks on getting this thing to fire again? Or what to check for? Checking for spark etc? Or any tips regarding how to properly line up the dist./time this thing properly? It has not ran for approximatlely one month now, I dont need to prime it again do I?
any help is greatly appreciated.
The only things I have done that changed really are:
I removed the ignition module from the original distributor and put it on the new one, and then put it back on the original. Would that affect anything at all?

Also, is there any reason this thing seems to be cranking so slowly, I have charged the battery, changed the battery, topped up the oil, boosted the car, and it is still the same.

Thanks
Mike

R

·
0 Posts
try this......

Remove #1 spark plug

Remove valve cover

Manually turn engine until #1 piston is at top dead center

Confirm that both valves are closed (compression stroke)

Align rotor on distributor so it it pointing to #1 spark plug wire

Drop distributor in carefully not to change positon of rotor

Replace valve cover and spark plug
Final set timing with timing light

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/137926-how-adjust-your-timing.html

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Did the module bolt right back in straight, or the distributor harness plug back in right?

·
Registered
437 Posts
yeah if your timing is far enough off it wont crank as well because itll fire mid stroke and force the piston back down... the same thing happened when i messed up my plug wires

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the module went back on properly, as well as the harness, thanks for all the help guys.. Anyone got any other suggestions?

RLG34750, I will do that tonight,Thanks for the information. I hope that it helps.

·
Registered
460 Posts
put the engine at TDC point the rotor a #1 cylinder and try it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
pull the spark plug and put your thumb over the hole.. when its on the compression stroke there will be pressure pushing out the hole

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.