Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into building a 347 Stroker engine.
I have a 1971 302 block. I was looking at getting around
400-500hp to the rear wheels. What parts should i get.
It would be better if i could get crank, connecting rods, pistons all together.
But im not too sure what to get.

Thanks

Larry

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I would get a nice beefy cam and some lowered compression internals, pistons rods everything. If you have some time, look at some roller rockers, springs, valves and heads. I know there is a nice gt40 system outthere if you can afford the asking price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the basics on what to get. Roller can, lifter, rocker arms.
But what companies for all the parts?
How much compression ratio?
How big of valves?
How do i avoid buring oil after 10,000 miles.
Ive seen 62 cc chambers and 64 cc chambers.
What duration and lift cam do i use?
Ill think of more questions the more i think of it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 302, fuel injected thats pushing out 423hp. I'm running late right now, but I will post another section giving you the parts that I have or would use of I was to do it again...400hp to the rear wheels isnt to hard especially with a 347. As far as just ordering a cam, I recommend having one custom ground once you decide what you using for parts, what kinda driving your gonna do, etc...

Bryan

·
Registered
40 Posts
ok....this is what I have...Scat 4340 crank, manley I beam rods, Keith Black Pistons, Manley valves, Trick Flow Iron 351 heads(they dont make these anymore I dont believe, but you can easily score some somewhere or get a nice set of aluminum heads). The heads have been ported and milled abit, but there is room for more. I cant remeber the size of the valves, but they are as large as I could go with...I wanna say the intake is like a chevy 242...simply huge! I'm running a custom ground competitions cam thats as large and agressive as I could get to fit...but honestly I wouldnt do it again, I'd go with something a little more street friendly...every time someone drives my car they always seem to stall it trying to either back up or just start going. Car likes to surge a bit at idle when moving:)

On the heads I have Ford Motorsports 1.6 roller rockers, double valve springs, etc...I've broken 2 of these valve springs so I need to find a better quality one, or thinking of switching to a shaft rocker system.

It's a pretty simple set up really that produces a good amount of power. Withe balancing, and a lightweight fly wheel, flow matching the heads to the intake and exhaust I could easily have 500hp.

Another thing you might want to check out is http://www.calicocoatings.com/home.phtml they offer bearing coated with a material that lowers the friction and builds a good amount of hp...I saw an article about a guy that built a 730hp 347 that was naturally aspirated...he used a windage tray, calico coated bearings, bottom of the piston skirts, heads, connecting rods, etc....

As far as an intake goes, I'm not to sure what to tell ya....I'm running a fuel injected motor. I hear that edelbrocks airgap is a nice unit. Let me know if you have any questions, and if you have aim feel free to im me anytime at FirefighterVT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.