Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 1973 Convertible with H Code Heads and a 2V Carb. I would like to exchange these for heads and carb that came off another 351 C Q Code car with 4 V, (I am also exchanging cams) My questions are first will this add to the HP considerably? Secondly, should I change pistons while the engine is apart? Any help would be appreciated, I do want to be able to drive the car without adding octane boost or something! Thanks for any help

Ted

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well the 2V heads make better low power... a better intake, cam and headers should work wonders with the heads you have, if money is no object check out the Trick Flow heads for the Cleveland

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the 2V heads make better low power... a better intake, cam and headers should work wonders with the heads you have, if money is no object check out the Trick Flow heads for the Cleveland
Thank you, what about a 4V? I want to have maximum power at 40-80 mph. I still want to get decent mileage on the highway as well.... hmmmm, so you wouldn't use the bigger heads? I appreciate all the help anyone can give.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Personally, if I was building it for the street, I would not use the 4V heads, I would use the 2V heads or aftermarket, I think the 4v heads with the huge ports will make the engine lazy on the street. I recommend you decide what rpm range you are wanting to run in. HP= Torque (in foot lbs) X RPM's divided by 5252. Generally any changes to boost performance will reduce mileage except for a 4barrel carb change from a 2b, as long as you don't go too big, and probably a few other exceptions. Camshaft and valve train selection is critical in the build, as everything has to work together, not only the engine parts, but your rear axle gear ratio, type of transmission, etc. My opinion. Good Luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, if I was building it for the street, I would not use the 4V heads, I would use the 2V heads or aftermarket, I think the 4v heads with the huge ports will make the engine lazy on the street. I recommend you decide what rpm range you are wanting to run in. HP= Torque (in foot lbs) X RPM's divided by 5252. Generally any changes to boost performance will reduce mileage except for a 4barrel carb change from a 2b, as long as you don't go too big, and probably a few other exceptions. Camshaft and valve train selection is critical in the build, as everything has to work together, not only the engine parts, but your rear axle gear ratio, type of transmission, etc. My opinion. Good Luck.
Thanks for the input, I will scrap the big heads but will proceed with the 4 Barrel and headers, with a mild cam. Any suggestions on a good cam?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 2V heads are great for the street. If you can afford it - don't know your budget- I would definitely upgrade to flat top pistons. If it's a street car Forged pistons aren't necessary but always a nice upgrade. Here's an idea of cost, you'd have to get a kit for your bore, rods etc etc...

Sealed Power CSMHP732-311 - Federal Mogul Premium Engine Rebuild Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

These flat top pistons will really help you boost your compression and help with power. And with the open combustion chamber 2V heads you can use the extra compression.

As for intake, I went with the Edlebrock performer, but apparently it's not so good. For cam I went with the Summit 5200 since it's real torque-y on the low to mid range, figure it'd compliment the 2V heads. Now I enjoy my car, however I would have gone for a much better stronger cam but my 351 had been bored .060 over and no way I'm pushing that, just wait for a different 351 C block later on.

You'll find lots of great info on Pantera forums. After all they have 351 Cs and lots of money... Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts