Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 351 cleveland out of a 71 mustang and i want to put it in the 77 mustang i just got. i need to know if it will fit and if anyone has done it before. any help would be great.:scratchchin

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I have a 351C from a 71CJ in mine. I had to use a motor plate from Jegs because the V8 motor mounts from the 302 set the engine off center by 1 1/2 inches and made it impossible to set the headers. Had to relocate the oil filter and cut the inner wheel wells for the drivers side header. The 4 speed toploader with the engine was almost the same lenght as the old engine and tranny that I pulled out. I was able to reuse the stock trans mount in the original location without any modification. I had to cut the hood due to the modifications of the engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just finished my Cleveland swap in my 78 coupe. I have a 72HO engine and used the plate as well. I also have relocated the oil filter and made up a custom set of headers they are a slip tube type. but i also have the headman hustler 351c conversion headers which where in the car but switched to a custom set. i did no cutting except for the tranny tunnel because i put in a late model T5 for drivability and the fact that its good to haev that extra gear with 4:62 gear ratio in the back. i also modified the tranny crossmember a bit other then that depending on which way you go you clevelands are the best;) definatly go for it my engine sits nice and low under the stock hood no one suspects a thing:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like the Cleveland 2V heads, and I like the Cleveland main bearing size, the only thing I don't like is the main bearing oiling issues they have at high rpm, since they feed oil pressure to the mains last instead of first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts