Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok lets here it who thinks getting rid of the 351 c was fords biggest goof // ford keep the windsor instead

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well I'm not sure if it was really a goof, it was emissions and fuel economy that killed it..did you know Dodge's modern Hemi isn't really a Hemi? A true Hemi is one of the worst designs for emissions...thus they just call it a hemi...a great rub on any Mopar fan.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Many of us fondly remember the 351C. Far too much incorrect stuff has been repeated by authors who either never worked on one or are too young to have been around. The "4V' big port version actually made a fine street engine, even in a heavy Cyclone. It needed oil system mods to be a serious race engine, however. The mods weren't hard.

It arrived as Ford was dropping compression to permit use of low-lead/unleaded gas, which cut the time for grassroots racers to become attached to it. However, I hit upon the trick of a mild but better than stock hydraulic cam, good springs, and 3-angle valve job, and coaxed the 3600+ Cyclone with 3.25 open rear axle down Cicero in 13.96, which at the time seemed like making that big car walk on water.

For what it's worth, I view the current Mopar pushrod "hemi" as yet another rehash of the staggered valve idea from the 396 Chevrolet, Cleveland Fords, and 385 series (370-429-460) Fords.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
oh there is no doubt that the Cleveland was the pinnacle of engine design back in it's day...as was the 429
For all you youngsters out there...google "Pantera" and read about one of the coolest cars a Cleveland ever powered!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You'll never, find a better mid engine powered car like that again. I've driven one, and a friend of mine owned one that he wishes he never got rid of. The 351C was much better then the Windsor, Mike. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah, the cars we "should have kept/bought" !

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I had heard many years ago that the 351 Cleveland was designed by the same man who designed the 427 Chevrolet. He apparently went over to Ford sometime in the late sixties. Anyone know if this is true? I do know the 1971 Boss 351 mustang was a true muscle car. Even in the heavy 71 body it was a legit high 13 second car off the showroom floor. I have ridden in a few 351 Clevelands over the years since I'm an older guy on here. Still have fond memories of my friend Gary's 1971 Mach I 351 C, C-6, 4:30 axle, when he put the hammer down. Sounded something like, Wump WAAAAAAAA! I think it was the sound of passing gear coupled with the secondarys coming on line. Brings a smile to my face and frankly it's nice to say secondarys in this age of computers and fuel injection.:gringreen

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
are you thinking of Bunkie Knudson?...he was sh*t canned after Lee Iacocca saw what he turned the Thunderbird into in 1971...Knudson loved big cars

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Ding Ding Ding!:bigthumbsup I think that may be it. Thanks 2ManyStangs.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Knudson actually came up with the original GTO, while Delorean gets the credit since he was president of the division...moving too fast too soon while at Ford, Iacocca couldn't stand the guy and had Henry Ford give him the boot.
Would be interesting how Ford might have been different had he stayed.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I didn't know that. I had always heard Delorean was the father of the G.T.O. hence the father of the first muscle car revolution. Knudson seems like an interesting man. I think I will research him a bit.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah, there's a decent writeup on him on wikipedia...he's kinda lost in automobile history, but must have been a smart guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts