Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i kind of need a fast answer here so thanks in advance! Ok i have 71 351 heads with a old style 302 (pre 5.0). Not haters its what i got for basically free so i have to make it work. But with the 351 heads i have no rockers or studs. The studs are screw in. I also have a set of 5.0 screw in pedestal rockers. The girdles will fit between the holes and the rockers will go on without interfearance. Can i use the 5.0 rockers on the 351 heads? Also the cam is a hydralic tappet i think? they are not rollers and they are hydralic. i havent had it together to check push rods but i dont wana go that far and have them not work Thank you very much!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Does the 5.0 pedestal rockers fit into the recess, the 351 clevelands had pedestal rockers and not screw in studs. I would say if they fit good, not loose, and the geometry looks okay with a pushrod in place, and nothing binds or hits the valve spring retainer or keeper, when turning the engine over, it should be okay. Maybe some of the other guys or gals have done this. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
351C heads will not work on a 302 without modification. They have canted valves and very different chambers.
The 351W heads will bolt on and work if you use the special washers to locate the smaller 302 head bolts.
The correct rockers will be determined by the tip of the valve. They came stock with rail type rockers and valves that stuck up from the keepers almost 3/8". If the valve tips don't stick up that far then you will need non-rail rockers and guide plates. For use with the guide plates you will need hardened pushrods. Theoretically you should be able to use the same length pushrods but you should always check to be sure using a pushrod gauge or adjustable pushrod.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just wanted to let you all know IT WORKED!! they work perfectly accept for 2 but those valves something is screwy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.