Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bolting a 4R70W to a 351-C in a 69/70 Stang. Flexplate to crank 6 bolts 7/16-20 bolts AR 8 grade 75-85 ft lbs I think with blue locktite?

What torque for the 4 converter nuts?

Bell housing 7/16-14 6 bolts torque spec?

Does converter need any fluid prior to install....dropping motor and trans in bolted together don't want any trans fluid running out the tail shaft when I tip it down to slide the combo in.

First automatic always done 4 or 5 speeds in the past.

Told someone like a Joe Persiod name has mount and shift install parts?

Performance has a kit way....over priced like around $4K. My 4R70W was $1,1560 for stage one rebuild build w converter and flexplate and MLPS unit new from Transdepot Florida shipped to my door.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bolting a 4R70W to a 351-C in a 69/70 Stang. Flexplate to crank 6 bolts 7/16-20 bolts AR 8 grade 75-85 ft lbs I think with blue locktite?

What torque for the 4 converter nuts?

Bell housing 7/16-14 6 bolts torque spec?

Does converter need any fluid prior to install....dropping motor and trans in bolted together don't want any trans fluid running out the tail shaft when I tip it down to slide the combo in.
18-22 (20) ft lbs on the torque converter nuts.
38-42 (40) ft lbs on the bell-housing bolts.

Make sure you know how to install a Ford torque converter! If you don't please ask before you ruin it along with your transmission.

L

·
0 Posts
And put 1-2 quarts into the convertor before installing it won't hurt any. Place a sandwich bag over the tail shaft housing and tape it on real snug and that will solve any leakage there. Then, once the trans/engine are bolted in, pour four more quarts into the trans before you start her up. There are several companies making a cross members and shifter linkage just do a google search. I made my own cross member and re-worked my shifter linkage no problem. Bruce

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hello Sir,
Joe Persad here, sent you a pm.
use blue loctite and follow tq ratings for appropriately sized fastener.
use stock 351C flexplate, starter and insulator(trans mount)
Shift lever must be rotated 180*
My kit lets you use stock shifter in stock location and clears any type of exhaust setup. I will help you with everthing I know and I have done 28 of these swaps in mustangs, cougars and torinos. In a 69/70 stang your driveshaft will need to be 49.5 inches long cup saddle to cup saddle using a long snout yoke on a 9", if using an 8 let me know.
Good to hear from you
Joe

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Joe Your the guy i was looking for. Call you later. Trans is bolted up to block ready to install in engine bay. Now needing linkage and attachment mods. No lever on my trans only the MLPS with a small diameter splinned rod protruding. Assume this is where the lever attaches. No oil added to the converter directions recommend adding 8 quarts crank it over a few times, check level add if needed. Then start run through gears check again. Then short test drive check level again.

Trimmed off a few of protruding mount points from the trans case. Hope slides in now without issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AOD or AODE in a 1970 Mustang

Hi
This is my first post hopefully it is in the correct forum?
I have been researching putting a AOD or AODE in my 70 Mustang. I won't be racing it but want a trans which will hold up for traveling and get good gas mileage.
What can you suggest I do?
The car came with a FMX trans which needs to be rebuilt but I would rather replace it now and start fresh since this car is a total custom build.
The engine will be a mild 351W with Alum heads, intake Alum and a MSD Atonic EFI. I have had a TCI front and rear installed and plan on running 17 or 18 inches rims. Tires I'm looking at 235 or 240 x 45.
The rear end now has 3.70 with posi limited slip.
Hope I included as much info as you might need.
Thank You Very Much
jeh1950

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hello jeh1950
some folks like the aod's but I am a fan of the 4R70W's. They hold several advantages and the biggest ones are that the 4R70W is a more updated trans which addressed all of the shortcomings of the aod's, plentiful, and once installed all tuning is done via hand held so you NEVER have to get dirty to change any performance characteristic of your trans' performance. pm or email me at [email protected], I have the cross member kit which will make your conversion a breeze
with 3.70 and a 26" tall tire you will be at 2200 at 75mph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts