Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new in this forum i wish you can help me !

i have a 72 351 w that i have just finish to rebuilt and befor my rebuilt the motor run ok but now i dont know what going on. when i tried to start the engine it start normaly but stall after 5 sec an if i tried to put gaz it stall with a backfire in the carb. i read alot in all forum about that so i check the cam timing : ok after i check if i put #1 in compression tdc the the distributor point exactly on #1. i check the firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. i check for vaccum leak stucking valve bad cam shaft bad timing chain or bad ignition timing but everything is ok. i do not plug the advance vaccum but i dont think is the problem. if it can help when i start the engine it beging to burn my eye like crazy. i check all the spark plug and is ok. i have ordered a new hei distributor but im sure this is not the problem. my carb is a holley 650 double pumper, intake is a edelbroke rpm air gap, head is stock, cam is stock and i have headers long tube.

·
Registered
18 Posts
More than likely the carb is the issue, double pumper pushes too much fuel off idle and will stall the engine. You either should go to a vacuum secondary carb or recurve the secondaries on the double pumper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More than likely the carb is the issue, double pumper pushes too much fuel off idle and will stall the engine. You either should go to a vacuum secondary carb or recurve the secondaries on the double pumper.
but i realy want to have my double pumper on it but maybe it push to much gaz at idle but it is normal that every time i hit the gaz there are a bakfire comming out the carb (like a 1 feet flame) ? im realy not sure that too much gaz will make a backfire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i found my problem but i will just know when i will receive my hei distributor. my old point distributor is very old and the housing is crak so i can tilt it from side to side about 1/2 inch.

i have another question: if there are any trick to adjuste a initial safe timing before start the engine ? because i cant use my timing light because the moteur stall ou backfire before i can read the timing. so if i put cylinder 1 on compression stroke then i turn the distributor to make the pointo aligned with the #1 is this will be the original timing ?

and another question i have my fuel pressure set to 7 psi but after the regulator it have my in-line fuel filter. is this will down my fuel pressure ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts