Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it would be possible to convert a 2v 351c to a boss 351? If so what would i need to do so? Thanks

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
The boss 351 was a 4v with some upgrades.If you want to clone it 100% it will take a head swap new cam intake and carb.But being a street driving car a 351 2v heads can make some nice power with a 4 barrel and cam.Its up to you depending budget and how close you want it to be.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
andrewmp6 is totally correct. You will be much better off to have a more street friendly motor if you keep the 2V heads and then add a cam, carb, and intake.

If you want some unbelievable power, I recommend having a little head work done to your stock heads along with good roller rockers and add some stainless 1-pc valves while your at it. I reccomend to consider the RPM air gap intake. its a perfect set up for the 2V heads. Have cam matched to the head flow charateristicts. anbd then have the carb size selected

You wont believe the kick-ass power you'll get with that set up

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Personally I'd pop for the Trick Flow aluminum Cleveland heads...get the latest aluminum technology and watch the ponies soar

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. Also, is there any appearance differences between the 2v 351c and the 4v Boss?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok. the only reason is because i was thinking about doing a boss 351 themed car when i restore it. so as long as it looks pretty much the same thats fine

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Most can't tell a 351w from a 302 if anyone calls you out just say the 2v heads are more low end power vs the 4v which made power up high.Low end power is what you want in a street car top end power is more for a race car.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Most can't tell a 351w from a 302 if anyone calls you out just say the 2v heads are more low end power vs the 4v which made power up high.Low end power is what you want in a street car top end power is more for a race car.
You do realize the boss 351 held the 1/4 record for production mustang for over 20 yrs right? And that it was a 4v as well ;)

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Yes and no the 71 drag package ran a faster time but wasn't consistently like the boss was.Unless hes building something to race with the 2v heads are fine for a street car but its up to him.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes and no the 71 drag package ran a faster time but wasn't consistently like the boss was.Unless hes building something to race with the 2v heads are fine for a street car but its up to him.
No, i don't plan on racing. I just want it to look and sound cool..a little bit of performance would be ok though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
andrewmp6, i plan on "cloning" the whole car.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Have to say I find 2Manystangs' advice attractive. You'll be paying nigh $2000 for the pair of heads, but look what the 351C performer heads buy you: new everything, guide plates, decent springs, no explaining to a machinist what to test first then do with 40 year old heads. No worrying about warpage, etc., either.

The sexiness of the Boss 351s was in part from the hiss of properly adjusted mechanical lifters. When in doubt with street Clevelands, undercam. Comp has one conservative flat tappet = 270 or 272S, I think - with true duration at .050 down near the old Ford factory R-Code solid, 224.

The Clevelands were a dry intake manifold anyway, so there is already an air gap effect with that big splash pan gasket. Paint it and it will blend in. The Boss 351 R-Code had a now-odd spreadbore carburetor, I believe, but hide a square-bore with a factory air cleaner and no one will know. Whatever you do, get an aluminum one and save your back installing it.

Most web sources say M-Code 4V Clevelands had 2-bolt mains. I think this may have started with the now-gone Ford Engine Workshop site at the dawn of the web and got repeated. My bought-new 1971 M-Code Cyclone had 4-bolt mains from the factory.

Gawd, this is fun stuff to talk about before 0600. Remember, everyone who was of driving age in 1970-71 is now at least 56, so brace yourself for aged rivetcounters who will try to show off. Have fun and to hell with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts