Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the carburetor on my 351 and now it wont turn over. all the lights on the tac come on (alt temp,etc) but there is no sound. thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i turn the key nothing happens, the engine doesn't make any sounds. and all the lights on my tac come on

·
Registered
167 Posts
Take a look at your starter solenoid. Maybe one of the small wires from the ignition switch came off when you were working on the the carbs. Also try hot wiring it to see that it is not your starter . I don't think it would be your starter because it would be to much of a coinsidence that it would go bad.Have someone turn the key to the run position as you put a meter on the starter solenoid and make sure you are getting voltage to it.If it has voltage then you need a new solenoid.Just had an idea, is your carbs automatic choke? If so the wire that feeds the automatic mechanism on the carbs comes from your ignition switch. It sends current to it when the igniton switch is turned on to open up your choke. Make sure something didn't get shorted. Check your fuses.

"WITH GOD EVERYTHING WITHOUT GOD NOTHING"

·
Registered
167 Posts
JOHN 3:16 YOU KNOW IT BROTHER!!!:worship:worship:worship:worship:worship:worship:worship

Nice to see we have some young blooded soldiers out there. Keep up the GOOD WORK!!!!

"GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD"

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just replaced the old solenoid a while back and yes my choke is auto, how do i hotwire it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok super simple. Look at your starter solenoid and you will see a big, should be red, cable coming from the battery to the solenoid. The other big cable on your solenoid that is directly opposite the big red cable from the battery goes to your starter. Get a piece of big wire like the wires from the solenoid and connect one end to the positive side of the battery. The other end you will touch to the big cable on the solenoid going to the starter. BE CAREFULL : make sure your car is in park or neutral. What you are doing is bypassing the starter solenoid. The car should turn over if the starter is good. PS: the starter will continue to turn the engine over for as long as you hold the wire from the battery against the wire going to the starter. If the car turns over go ahead and turn your ignition switch on. Now go under the hood and do the bypass like I explained. The car should turn over and continue to run.You might need another person to give it alittle gas while doing this step.Remember as soon as the car turns over and continues to run remove the wire you are touching to the starter wire so your starter does not continue to turn. Let me know how it turns out.

"JESUS IS THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE"

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will two screwdrivers work? (cross them while touching each wire?)

·
Registered
75 Posts
if its an auto, theres a switch on the trans that wont let the solenoid power up. a simple jumper wire will do the trick just think simple, they did! stop the illegal welding with the screw drivers and fix the problem.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was a ....thing....not even sure what it was but it has two wires that go to the wiring harness and i had unplugged it to get a better look (prior to installing my carb) and plugged it back in. it turns out, i plugged it in wrong and i think i disrupted the current. i think.. but it works now. THANKS

·
Registered
167 Posts
AWESOME!!! It sound like you unpluged the wires that go to the solenoid. GOOD JOB FINDING THE PROBLEM!!!!:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts