Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. well i just need some advice on my 351w build. i'm hoping that you guys can help me out with my build. well i got a 351w its a 1974 block i believe. im going to run maybe 9.5 to 10.1 compression ratio due to the highest octane in my area being 91. Is there any way i can build it to push 550 to 600 horses and still being streetable at that compression. its probably going to be a 408 stroker or 393 with forged internals. any advice would help from choosing the right stroker kit to carburetor.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Stroke it big as you can. 427, cubes = hp

does NOS count or are you looking to hit 550-600 NA?

If 550 NA, then get really good heads, CNC'd. For Cam, go solid roller 240 minimum duration, .625 lift on 1.6 ratio.

Vic Jr intake with 950 CFM or bigger carb. You should be able to get there with pump at 10:1.

Another thought is the Clevor. Very cool stuff. The CHI heads look really impressive, I probably will be kicking myself for not going that direction.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
hey everyone. well i just need some advice on my 351w build. i'm hoping that you guys can help me out with my build. well i got a 351w its a 1974 block i believe. im going to run maybe 9.5 to 10.1 compression ratio due to the highest octane in my area being 91. Is there any way i can build it to push 550 to 600 horses and still being streetable at that compression. its probably going to be a 408 stroker or 393 with forged internals. any advice would help from choosing the right stroker kit to carburetor.
Munky,
with the largest stroker kit (427) you can get a naturally aspirated 500 HP that is streetable - if you don't mind the lopey idle and either a manual transmission or a high stall converter. If you have to have the extra 100 HP then your engine is not going to be street friendly.
First - it will have at most half the life of a "street engine"
Second - it will have a miserable low end when the peak torque is up at 4500 rpm
Third - your engine will use more fuel than a full size 1 ton pick-up
Fouth - You will be constantly tuning it because at that level of build even minor tuning errors will be very noticable on the street.

The above is my opinion from my own experience - others may tollerate the idosyncrosies of running a high RPM engine on the street better than I.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts